Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Venison Hind Quarter

Options
Hatch
Hatch Posts: 149
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Help :-( recently was given an entire deer hind quarter and was hoping for some ideas.
Initial plan is like a good beef roast, maybe something along the lines of a rib roast. Quick sear and then a slow roast at say 300/350.
I am wide open to ideas as it's the first time I've done one of these. I am cooking it during the Dizzy Pig pre-season practice round we are having next weekend at Woo-Doggies.
Thanks in advance for any and all ideas.
Kenny

Comments

• StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    Options
    Hatch,[p]Personally if I was givin a whole deer hind quarter I wouldn't know hot to take that..I mean I've been givin a lotta things..only 2 of which needed medecine to make go away..but I don't know..an entire dears ass..but since you asked for ideas...[p]1) I would shellac the majeebers outta it..prolly something like 10 coats..then I'd dig 2 small holes in the yard next to the driveway..and then I'd pound it in feet first..prolly make a perfect bike rack.[p]2) Or...dependin on what kinda neighbors you got..or mayeb if'n its time to embarrasse you wife...I'd still shellac the majeebers out of it..drill a hole through the top there..right near it's tail..then I'd make a big "u" shaped frame outta 2 two by fours..an attach one end to the dear usin a screw in that hole you drilled..then the other end to the front of your ridin mower..so the fron of that dear ass is hanging right in front of the driver..the sphincter at eye level..an somethin like two feet in front of you..now..wait till your wife is aroun..and tell her you're goin out to mow the loan..an start drivin that thing all aroun..now to make the best outta it..you gotta be makin all kinda faces an whatnot..an maybe even droolin..an wide eyed..tongue hangin out..drivin all erradically..if'n she isn't comin out..start whisstlin an stuff like that..whoopin..cat callin..have fun with it..I mean it ain't everyday you get an opportunity like this.[p]3) Here's another thing..shellac it again..an hide it along with a shower cap and a loofah.. the hall closet outside your bedroom..now..I know it'll ba hard but wait patiently til the next mornin..an just before your wife wakes up..sneak out the bedroom door leavin it wide open..an grab this fine item..an wait for the wife to wake up..an wait till maybe you know she's well awake..then you put on the shower cap..grab that loofah..in one hand..that stiff deer ass in the other..start singin at the top of your lung..oh..I don't know something like "Blue skies are gonna clear up..put on a happy face..spray sunshine all over the place..when you put on a happy face"..now right when you know you've peeked her interest..you hol that deer ass horizontally..about hip hi..with its buns pointing in towards the bedroom..and slowly walk bay..a gaint smile on your face...sayin "Good morning Dear!..wavin with that loofa as you go by..[p]Hmm..let me know if none of those sound good..I can prolly come up with more if needed..to me though..nuttin can beat that..I mean someone gives you lemons..you make lemonade my friend![p][p]StumpBaby

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Hatch, I took a vension ham and deboned it and then used some hot greek rub (oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, plus some other stuff) and then spread some spinach and feta cheese on it. ROlled it up, tie it with butcher twine and then cooked to an internal of 155. It was tender and it went fast.

• Hatch,[p]My favorite technique for venison ham.[p]1. Marinate overnight w/ your favorite marinade....if you want specifics on my favorite let me know.[p]2. Venison is extremely lean and is prone to drying out. So, lard the roast w/ bacon by partially freezing the bacon, then cut diagonally into pointed slivers (.5" - 1"). With a paring knife, stab the meat to make little pockets for the bacon. Then, stuff the bacon into the pockets and push all the way into the meat.[p]3. Smoke w/ Hickory around 250 until 160 internal. Use a mop sauce along the way to keep it from drying out.[p]I've never tried roasting as opposed to smoking, but I'm sure that would be good as well. Venison has somewhat of a gamey flavor which not everyone would appreciate. In my opinion, the smoke helps to reduce the overall gamey taste.[p]Please let us know how you do your's and the results.
  • StumpBaby,
    Thanks for ideas I think I might go with the first one. Can never find a bike rack when you need it.[p]Beers
    Hatch