Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Restoring old Ni-Cad batteries

Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in Off Topic
Have any of you been successful in restoring old, worn out Ni-Cad batteries such as on cordless drills or VersaPak type batteries?

There are a number of YouTube videos explaining how. The first one I viewed showed a guy using his welder to do something. He later showed the battery working on his drill.

Yes, my thoughts exactly: VERY UNSAFE

The guy even said so himself and used protective welder's gear.

But there are other methods.

I hate to toss the batteries when they may still have an after-life.

Spring "Power To The People Who Restore Batteries" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    But if you toss them, they need to be "tossed" at your neighborhood recycle center. Same goes for CF lightbulbs because they contain mercury.

We keep a paper bag in the broom closet, and toss batteries, bulbs, etc. in them until it's worth it to recycle.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Take care our friend, not all Spring Chicken parts are rechargeable but require re-winding! :lol:

Gator "Could Use A Re-Wind" Bait

• ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    I'm with the others on this - don't chance blowing your bits to bits! The ladies wouldn't like having to break in another rooster!

I know our local Lowe's has a bin by the door for recycling old batteries. I happen to have a bunch of DeWALT cordless battery packs I'm taking there at lunchtime today.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • I take my collection of "pooped" battery packs to a local battery sales place. They also do repairs and will rebuild my packs and recycle the dead individual battery cells. ;)
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks