Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Elder Ward's Brisket - Indirect?

Options
Philicious
Philicious Posts: 346
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello - I am going to try the Elder Ward's brisket recipe (page 2 of Beef section in the Cookbook). He does not say he uses a platesetter. Is it safe to assume that he does? Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I think some form of indirect is safe to say
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I have heard of direct cooks on almost all cuts of meat, except for brisket and pork butt. Some one please correct me if I am wrong. ;)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    I use Elder Ward's brisket recipe almost exclusively and NEVER EVER put in a platesetter. All I can tell it does it avoid giving you the great bark (my favorite part) and slow down the cook. The egg cooks evenly enough. I don't see the point of dropping in a big blob of ceramic to block the fire.

Put a good-size drip pan under your raised grid. In fact you can stick another grid right ON the drip pan and use that. Sometimes I use a v-rack on the drip pan. Then put it fat-side up on your rack or 2nd grid. The drip pan will keep it from getting toasted to a crisp. Pour a bottle of beer in the drip pan and let it cook until 190 internal. Leave it alone otherwise. It doesn't need to be sprayed, deodorized, fussed with, or annoyed. Take it out and wrap it in a couple layers of foil and then in a beach towel and stick it somewhere to cool for at least an hour. Tada...great brisket.
  • Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    I agree with you. I do brisket on a direct raised grate and it always turns out with great bark and juicy inside. I do cook mine till 198 internal though. I wrap the flat only and put put in cooler. The point is for the burnt ends. It's actually one of easiest cooks I do on the egg.
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY