Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

tacodawg
tacodawg Posts: 335
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am getting my BGE in a week. Looking forward to ribs and pork butts and pizza. My question is what is more important a maverick et 732 that does both monitor the dome and meat or the thermopen? Do I need both if dont see why. Just trying to get ready for smoking.

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    I use my thermapen always for the final say but, there are times when you need some sort of probe in the meat so you don't have to open the dome to see what the temp is on occasion. I have the Maverick et-73 and now it's up graded version is the et-732. So to answer your question I use both.
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    I love me thermopen and use it as the final judge. However, if I could only have one I would have my meat probe to monitor the cook and not have to open the dome to check the temp.

EDIT: I forgot to say Congratulations and Welcome! Have fun and come back here for questions. Even when you don't have questions come here at least once a week and read some of the threads. You will learn all kinds of things. I know I have.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    I use both. I also use those little steak thermometers to tell when my steaks are rare, med.ect during the dwell time.
    WELCOME !!
    More meat please !! :-)
  • tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    So it sounds like the maverick first and then a thermopen. Sounds like the egg might be the start of a
    lot of extras.. kinda of like the harley and boat..
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    I use both. Yes the thermapen to finish the cook. But, I love my 732 throughout the cook, especially as a new egger,it has helped me monitor my temperature control...The alarm is great for overnight cooks, so you don't have to worry about the temp. and some sleep!

Welcome!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • SheepDog
    SheepDog Posts: 176
    Go with the Maverick first. Being a new egger it will help you with temp control and you'll realize how big of a difference there is between dome and grid temps. Congrats and good luck, you're going to love it!