Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

oak for a shoulder

jerryp
jerryp Posts: 232
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anybody ever use oak for pulled pork. I see guys use it in bbq joints on food network. Just wondering what kind of flavor profile it adds(strong smoke, mild, etc.) Thanks.

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    It would work fine, just eggsperiment and see how you like it. Much of the lump charcoal we use is oak...
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    I have used applewood or mesquite (I used to live in TX).
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Oak is great. It's not much different than hickory, IMO. Apple wood is good, but I don't think it has a strong enough profile for a low and slow cook.I
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I believe many of the NC Q joints use, or used to use, oak and/or hickory for smoking butts. I have always used hickory, but want to try oak only. Then a combination of both - just to see who wins. I doubt you can go wrong with either of them. Or both. I'm betting "both" will be the winner.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    As mentioned most lump is made of oak. However, that is different from using it as flavoring wood as I think of the lump I use as relatively tasteless.

To me oak is as not as strong as mesquite or hickory, but stronger than the fruit woods.

For pulled pork I don't think you have to worry too much about the smoke being too strong. There is relatively little surface area (as a % of the meat) compared to most other meats, and it winds up being mixed in with the inner parts when it is pulled. I use hickory and apple for pulled pork. But then again I am from Texas where pulled pork is not near as common as in other parts of the south.

Freddie
    League City, TX