Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

any umbrella eggperience?

edited 8:40AM in EggHead Forum
Common sense tells me heat and smoke coming out of humpty's dome is hot, but seems to dissipate quickly...therefore can't a person probably drill a hole in his table so as to insert the rod end (handle removed) of say a large "golf size" umbrella when it is raining or even snowing? We get some downpours that can drown a fish and so far I've been lucky that I haven't had a low and slow in process during these storms. Any eggperiences anyone will share? ^oo^~
·

Comments

• Bama FireBama Fire Posts: 267
    one feral kat,
    I have had several experiences EGGin' in the rain. I simply make a "tent" out of aluminum foil and feed it through the handle on the daisy-wheel top. The handle keeps it from blowing off, and the foil doesn't seem to affect the airflow from the fire. The method has worked on a 20 hour low & slow butt cook. If your trying to sear steack, I'm not sure that it would work for you.[p]Just a thought.[p]B~F

·
  • Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,342
    one feral kat,
    I have seen that several eggers have an umbrella hole drilled in their table. I am planning on doing this myself. Wouldn't think it would be a good idea for high temp searing, but nearly everything else should be okay. [p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    ·
  • sprintersprinter Posts: 1,188
    one feral kat,[p]I've not cooked low and slow without a top of some sort, and usually covering 95% of the chimney opening so the rain has never been a problem. I've cooked in one gully washer with no problems and have cooked burgers in a storm with no ill effects either. Your umbrella setup sounds interesting but be careful, it may start to look somewhat like a New York city hotdog stand. Maybe BGE could start to manufacture the table with a big green umbrella as an optional accessory? [p]Troy
    ·
  • PeddlerPeddler Posts: 37
    one feral kat,[p]I've pulled my big patio table umbrella (the one that slips into a weighted base)out when it rains and it works just fine. I haven't tried it with high-temp cooking though, only up to about 400. I don't get wet and neither does my work area.

·
  • I've used an umbrella quite a bit up here in the rainy pacific northwest. Just a cheap umbrella, with the handle cut off, hanging from a tree, with a little loop of wire to attach the umbrella to the top of the egg via that slide top bale. It works great, although.... it's a pretty smokey umbrella now! [p]Mike

·
  • Kona TimKona Tim Posts: 35
    one feral kat,
    I do use an umbrella occasionally---but for shade on these lazy Hawaiian afternoons. Keeps the home brew from warming too quickly.
    Kona Tim

·
  • Bama FireBama Fire Posts: 267
    Kona Tim,
    What's been happening out there in vacation land? how's the new egg treating you?[p]I just purchased a rolling nest for mine & it feels like a new egg -- no more bending over![p]Bama Fire

·
  • BryanBryan Posts: 53
    eggroof.jpg
    <p />one feral kat,[p]Get you one of these!
    Bryan

·
  • Kona TimKona Tim Posts: 35
    Bama Fire,
    Life is good out here, buddy----eggin it three to four times a week----wish I had known you did'nt have a nest---I'd have
    made you a real deal on mine----I have my egg mounted in my old fire pit---and there it will stay!
    See ya,[p]Tim

·