Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blackening Skillet

PhotoPro
PhotoPro Posts: 47
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In the late eighties I bought a hand cast blackening skillet from a maker in south Florida. The casting was over 1/2 inch thick and it had a 1/2 inch lip that ran around the edges. It was more or less rectangular in shape and fit perfectly on top of a full load of white-hot coals in an 18.5 inch Weber Kettle. There were no handles to interfere with placing it directly on the coals Being so heavy, it barely reacted to cold food being dropped on it.

Somehow I lost track of it after Hurricane Andrew. I've searched the web for this skillet, or something similar, but I come up empty. Do any of you elder chickens remember such a thing? It came out during the heyday of blacked redfish. Know of anything of similar design that will work for blackening directly on the fire?

Comments