Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Looking forward to a delicious Christmas dinner? Keep our Holiday Entertaining Publication handy throughout December for all your holiday dinner needs. But you can also find some of our favorites on our Country Christmas page, including Christmas Ham and Peach Cobbler. Happy cooking!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Controlling Temperature Ceiling

Royal CoachmenRoyal Coachmen Posts: 157
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I'm slow cooking my first pork butt today. I got my fire started no problem and temp locked in at 225 in preparation for an 8-8.5 hour cook. I went upstairs to shower and came back down and noticed the temp had spiked to 300+.

I assume this is because I had the lower vent open too much (about 1.5 inches). I left it open this much because the temp would fall when I would shut it down to 1/4 inch or so. The daisy on top was open all the way.

Nevertheless, knowing 300+ is too high to slow cook a pork butt I could not bring the temperature back down quickly. Can any of the more experienced cookers out there coach me on how to bring down the temp once it gets out of control?

My remedy was to shut the vents all the way and cut off oxygen. My wife volunteered to open the vents once the temp had dropped down to 200-225. I asked her only to open vents 1/2 inch or less on the bottom and all the way on the top. Thanks.

Comments