Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

HELP!

jbennyjbenny Posts: 147
edited 9:05AM in EggHead Forum
The nuts are stuck on the band bolts. When I try to loosen the whole screw moves. Any ideas? I can't cook until it's fixed.
·

Comments

• WessBWessB Posts: 6,937
    They are carriage bolts with a square shoulder...if they were installed properly in the first place there is no way they can spin/turn...need more details.
    ·
  • AvocadosAvocados Posts: 465
    Why are you trying to loosen them???
    ·
  • ShedFarmShedFarm Posts: 499
    First, make sure you have a set of replacement bolts handy. :)

Use a set of vice grips and adjust/clamp them down as tight as you can get them, on the edge of the carriage bolt head, closest to the band. The teeth on the vice grips should be able to dig into the edge enough to allow you to hold the bolt in place, as you work on getting the nut loose.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
    ·
  • PhilsGrillPhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    WessB is correct. Assuming the carriage bolts were installed correctly with the square end inserted, it's hard to have them spin. Otherwise take a hack saw and cut them off and just install new ones.
    ·
  • jbennyjbenny Posts: 147
    the bolt and nut a turning together in the band. it's like the band stripped the bolt part to where it turns in there now
    ·
  • jbennyjbenny Posts: 147
    Luckily, When I called BGE they sent me all replacement nuts and bolts for the whole egg.
    ·
  • SheepDogSheepDog Posts: 176
    jbenny wrote:
    The nuts are stuck on the band bolts.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm sorry, I just couldn't get past that part.
    ·