Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Doing first Canadian Bacon question

MusicMan78
MusicMan78 Posts: 182
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Followed the instructions in Ruhlman's book and now have the stuff ready to hit the smoker. It recommends that you pull off at an internal of 150 degrees using a pit temp of 200 degrees (gonna use applewood). So I assume it is safe to eat right off the smoker once cooled and sliced?...most people I see cook it before eating. Is this for flavor or safety? I eat it right from the package when I buy from the store.

Comments

• MusicMan, it is cooked when you take it off the egg at 150 and it is safe to eat. If you are using an egg, I recommend 225 to 250 degree dome temp, it is much easier to maintain.
    Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Pork is done at 145°. So eating it at any stage after that is fine.

I like to cook (re-heat) as I enjoy warm Canadian Bacon. When heating/cooking don't cook it too long or it will dry out.

Tenderloin
    bbloin3.jpg

Loin
    bbbutt4.jpg

Boston Butt
    bbbutt5.jpg

GG
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Reheating also can create carmelization, as in GG's last pic. Good stuff. You will love it.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    MusicMan78,

It's safe to eat after the cure. Whether you want to or not is another matter.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Had that discussion with a co-worker today. Pancetta vs bacon and food safety eating them raw. Both are the same cut of meat and cured, the bacon with salt, nitrates and smoke, the pancetta with salt and drying. Both should be equally safe to eat raw, but the pancetta is much more pleasurable to do so because its texture is better through the drying.

Doug
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    safe to eat now. but yeah safe to eat after smoking. hot smoking is a texture thing, not a safety thing
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • MusicMan78
    MusicMan78 Posts: 182
    going to vac seal it, can it be frozen or will quality suffer??