Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Aluminum foil and other ???

Options
Amy S.
Amy S. Posts: 70
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK. There are things that you guys talk about that I don't understand.

I am having no luck going with a slow cook. The BGE is reading 50 degrees higher than an oven thermometer that I sat on the grate. But, I try 3 pound roasts that are done and perfect in an 1 1/2 hours. I was wanting to try a long cook of 6 hours.

I did try to calibrate my thermometer, per the instructions, but I figured that I messed that up.

So, do I need a huge hunk of meat to go longer?

What does it mean to rest the meat? And what do you do with the meat after you wrap it in foil?

I don't have a plate setter, yet. I pile the coals on each side of the grill and put a disposable drip pan in the center. (Trying for an indirect heat, but all I am used to are charcoal grills.) I am guessing that not only do I not know how much fuel to use, I don't know how to start it, either. I have the fire starters that came with the large and I did read that I only need a small piece of the square. I am burying 2 small slices of the fire starter and stacking fuel on that on each side of the grill.

OK. I am certain that I will think of more questions, as I go on. Help.

Comments

• Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    It is normal for the thermometer to read between 25 and 50 degrees higher than the temperature on the grid. This difference will slowly equalize over the course of a low and slow cook. All temperatures quoted here are dome temperatures.

What temperature are you trying to low and slow at? Most of us find our eggs like to run at 250 dome which is about 225 on the grill. That will take 1 to 2 hours a pound to bring slow cooked meats up to 170+ degrees.

To rest meat helps the moisture redistribute as it tends to leave the outside parts during cooking. also some carry over cooking will happen. For low and slow pork butts or briskets we wrap the meat in foil after it is cooked how we like it, from there it can be held wrapped in towels, in a cooler, for 1 to 4 hours.

For low and slow generally you want an indirect or raised setup just so the radiant heat from the coals doesn't overcook the bottom. That can be as simple as a pizza stone no the grid, some balls of aluminum foil and then the roasting pan with the roast. Light a full load of charcoal, open the egg right up until its getting close to 250, then close it up so the bottom is about 1/8th inch and the top just has the petals 1/3 open or so. Wait for the smoke to turn light blue or disappear, and put your meat no. Try not to open the egg or fiddle with the settings too much.

Hope this helps

Doug

Doug
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    First off, calibrate the thermometer http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm#calibrate. Don't be afraid, you can't break it. At a minimum, check it in boiling water to see if it needs calibration. Just remember that a BGE thermometer will be reading the dome temperature while an oven thermometer sitting on the grate will read differently as the grate and the dome temps will not be equal.

Rest the meat = take the meat out of the Egg and let it set (i.e. rest).

Your "indirect" heat method suggests you have been using a Weber for quite awhile. This method does not work on the Egg. You need to get something between the glowing lump and the whatever you are trying to cook.

You can get Rutland fire starters at Ace for a lot less $$$ than the BGE version.
  • WingRider
    WingRider Posts: 326
    Options
    There is a difference between the Egg's thermo and the grid(where the food sits) temperature 25-50 degrees. Calibrate your thermo as instructed in the egg book or the slip that came with your thermo.
    Resting the meat: set the piece of meat on a warmed plate and cover with aluminum foil,let it rest for 10-15 minutes to let the juices redistribute, if you are not going to eat soon, you can wrap the meat in alum foil and wrap in a couple of towels and put in a cooler that you have rinsed out with hot water.
    A platesetter is a worthwhile investment.
    If you have two cooking grids and a pizza stone, you can set the pizza stone on the grid and place spacers(fire brick) and set the second grid on top of the spacers.
    I usually fill the egg to the top (or close to the top)of the fire ring that sits on the fire bowl, and cut the cubes in half so that I have a piece that is approx 1/2" x 1" and use 2 or 4 pieces depending if I am looking for low and slow or high temp.
    HTH
  • Amy S.
    Amy S. Posts: 70
    Options
    Thanks, part of my problem is that I am not comfortable cooking at 250 degrees, yet. Because I would never cook something like that in an oven. That would be a cool oven, to me. I am afraid I would undercook it - but I do have a meat thermometer.

I am in Tucson and my egg is in the sun. Most days it would have to be sitting there and be 100 degrees, just empty.

So, an indirect cook has nothing to do will piling the fuel on the side of the egg, like I would with charcoal?
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Amy, this is not like an indirect cook, it is more like a convection oven cook. As you get the egg stabilized at, say, 240 F, you now have the dome of the egg also heated and radiating cooking heat onto your cook. Therefore, you are not just cooking from the bottom up, you are cooking all around. Make sense? Just keep asking questions until you are confident. I sure do!

;)
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    Sounds like your temperatures are running a bit warm and thats why your cooks are finishing quick, give 250 a try just cook to temperature and you will be fine.

Indirect in an egg definitely means having something between the coals and your cooking container.

Doug