Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ultra Copper Gasket (long)

Options
2»

Comments

• ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    i would have used copper...( which has the highest temp rating)...... but i needed a new gasket( my felt one lasted for about twenty minutes)...... so i had a tube of the red stuff opened in my tool box.... so thought i'd give it a try... it;s been on there for along time( and i'm sure any toxins are burned off by now..... ( i don't know the temp rating) ...... yes i do a lot of high temp cooks.....rr
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    As does the charcoal itself

Aaid it before and i'll say it again: about the :laugh: most dangerous thing you could burn in a grill is charcoal. :laugh:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Options
    Like the template idea. I used Ranger Ray's idea... Pam sprayed on Saran Wrap between the gasket material and the lid... Works.

Wonder if the material continues to give off measurable amount of formaldehyde after the first cook? Could be wrong but I'd think a high temp burn would get rid of most of it.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I checked out a few other products containing silicone and they all pretty much warn about formaldehyde, so I doubt there is any product that we "should" be looking at instead. I suppose if we want to be 100% safe, we should play that BBQ Simulation game instead, :laugh:
    The Naked Whiz
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Wiz,

That warns of Carpal Tunnel. :P
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    DOH!!!!!!!!!!
    The Naked Whiz