Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

newbie, chicken breasts stalled temp?

Options
B&BKnox
B&BKnox Posts: 283
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My first post, and very green. Question have cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts 2X, both times at apprx 225 degrees, dome. In 1 hour they get to 136 internal, in 2 hours they get to 143 and in 3 hours 160. The second time I pounded the breasts before brining (yes I brined both times) to equal out the thickness, Whats up with the temp stall in chicken breasts, or do they just need higher heat?
Be Well

Knoxville TN

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Try cooking them direct/indirect high in dome 350-400F and see how you like them in 45-60 minutes. Pull around 160F.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    Ditto Richard. Your cooking too long too low.
  • B&BKnox
    Options
    Richard, so right, you have to start in the mourning, I'm an ale man but beer is good, I'll take mine in a to go cup.

Thanks for the higher temp advice. You smoking at that temp?
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • B&BKnox
    Options
    Think your right, first cook outer meat had a thin almost jerky quality, and I brined, Tasty though, nice smoke flavor.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Eggcept with pies and cakes, I usually toss in some wood for any cook. I like apple, peach, guava and some other fruits for poultry. I like to use a jaccard when brining poultry or pork.

Jaccard.jpg
  • ron4fish
    ron4fish Posts: 144
    Options
    I cooked some this past weekend. I held the heat at about 300. When the internal temp got to about 174 I took them off the EGG and wrapped them in foil for about 15-20 minutes. They melted in my mouth. Put Dizzy Pig Shakin the Tree on them. Alo threw in some boneless porkchops, rubbed them with Dizzy Pig Pineapple Head. Wrapped them in foil at the same time as the breasts, Bothh were great!!