Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer can chicken crispy skin?

Options
wkygriller
wkygriller Posts: 408
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I remember seeing that some people put the chicken in the fridge uncovered to dry out the skin so that it is crispy after cooking. How long should it sit in the fridge uncovered and do I season before or after removing it from the fridge?

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    In general, you can put poultry in the fridge to dry the skin. You might like to experiment and just put one in there and watch it over a couple of days. 48 hours would probably get most of the bird's skin dry. Take a look at my web page on brining for some photos of turkey breasts that I dried. You will find that the skin gets sort of transluscent. You can use that as a guide for when the skin is dry. When you are ready to cook, then brush with oil and apply rub. Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Richard,

I just sift some cornstarch on the bird, just a little, and brush the excess off with a pastry brush. If any white spots show in the first bit of cooking I spray a little oil on them. Try the inverted trick.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• wkygriller
    wkygriller Posts: 408
    Options
    Thanks for the help... After pulling it out of the package I came to the conclusion that this bird must have talked smack to the processor or was way too big to fit in the standard package. Broken leg and breast skin missing. It was 6 lbs. Decided to cut the back bone out and all went well. Wasn't worthy of photos, but tasted great (seasoned with tsunami spin) and will make some really good chicken salad.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Smoked chiken salad is Da BOMB! ;)