Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse sear versus hottub?

Options
mentsmin
mentsmin Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Which do you prefer? I'll be cooking ribeyes; I tried a reverse sear last time, was thinking about trying the hot tub thing this time.

Question about the hot tub thing, though: Do most people put a pot on the stove and keep it at 100 degrees, or just repeatedly put hot water into a sink or something like that?

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    mentsmin,

I used to fill the sink with hot tap water and a pot with 100* water and put the pot in the sink. If the pot water dropped I would add hot to the sink. Then I found I could control below 100* on the induction top. Be tough to do with gas or electric I would think

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• mentsmin
    Options
    Ahh, good point. I didn't think of that. Hmmm, I'm cooking for four, I'd hate to screw them up!

Any suggestions for temperature/timing for a reverse sear? My guests are always happy but I'm constantly overcooking my own steak (I prefer mid-rare).
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I would use the pot in the sink if I were you and try the stove later ;)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    If the ribeye is 1" or thicker, I prefer a reverse sear. If it is thinner, I don't really have a preference between the two methods.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • mentsmin
    Options
    NibbleMeThis wrote:
    If the ribeye is 1" or thicker, I prefer a reverse sear. If it is thinner, I don't really have a preference between the two methods.

They are thicker.

When you reverse-sear, what egg temp do you aim for and how long do you leave them on?