Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pineapple Upside-down cake

Options
SSN686
SSN686 Posts: 3,504
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Morning All:[p]Desert for our Easter dinner was recipe that my wife found for a Fresh Pineapple Upside-down cake. It involved a whole fresh pineapple and was quite tasty. [p]P3270026.jpg[p]Recipe:[p]Carmalized pineaplle:
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 large pineapple, cored, rind removed, sliced in 1/3" slices
1/4 cup dark rum
1/2 cup heavy cream[p]Cake:
2 cup flour
3/4 teas. baking powder
1/2 teas. baking soda
3/4 teas. salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/3 cup sugar
3 eggs, separated
1 1/2 teas. vanilla extract
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup fresh pineapple juice[p]
For the pineapple, combine butter and brown sugar in a 12" cast iron skillet and heat until bubbly. Add pineapple slices and carmelized to deep golden brown, turning once. Remove slices and set aside. Pour rum and cream into skillet and cook over low heat 5 minutes, until thickened, stirring constantly with a whisk (make sure not to burn the butter). Remove from heat.[p]Butter a 10" round cake pan and line it with parchment paper. Arrange pineapple slices to cover bottom of pan. Pour sauce (prepared above) over pineapple slices and set aside.[p]For the cake, sift dry ingredients together and set aside. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks one at a time, beating after each addition. Add vanilla. Combine pineapple juice and buttermilk, and add alternately with dry ingredients. Pour over pineappple slices in pan and bake at 350f about 1 hour or until tester comes out clean. Invert onto serving platter.[p]As you can see by the picture below from when I just put it in the Egg, I didn't have a 10" cake pan, so I used an old skillet (about 13").[p]P3270024.jpg[p]It made a perfect ending to a great Easter dinner.[p]Have a GREAT day!
Jay[p]

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    SSN686,
    Verrrrrry nice... I love pineapple upside down cake and it has been a traditional dish in my wife's family since she was a little girl. She recently made one on the Egg for the first time. Absolutely wonderful. No smoke flavor at all. We will likely be doing another one at the Texas Eggfest. I wish I had taken a photo to show you.[p]Your recipe looks good and we may try making both.[p]Thanks[p]Spring "Right Side Up" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA