Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Myron Mixons new book SMOKIN

Options
G-squared
G-squared Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have any of you taken a look at this book yet? Some great information from the King of BBQ. He use higher temps for his smoking 275 for ribs and 350 for brisket. Just would like some feedback and your thoughts.
LGE
CIA-81
Garner, North Carolina
Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all-Harriet van Horne

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    a lot of Eggers on here have been doing it for quite awhile.. I just did my first one last week it was wonderful!
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1094933&catid=1#
    if you do a search in the search box for fast brisket or the likes they go back to 2001 with posts about it :)
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    I'm about 1/3 of the way thru the book, enjoying it very much. He's a bit arrogant, but not obnoxiously so, and I love the way he presents his opinions on things.
    For instance, he uses lighter fluid to start his fire! He stated he knows that supposedly imparts "chemical taste" to the food, but he retorts with "Well, that's true if you don't read the damn directions on the bottle, and let the coals burn white".
    Great fun!

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    It is a great book with some information that is probably close to his $750 cooking classes. It would be worth giving his suggestions a try.
  • PFSmith
    PFSmith Posts: 34
    Options
    I have Adam Perry Lang's book, Serious Barbecue, and Chris Lilly's Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book, and I just finished Myron Mixon's book. I have picked up hints and tips from each of them that have made me a better BBQ cook.

Myron is a large personality and that is one of the things that makes him so interesting. I enjoyed the book and bought one for my brother, who is interested in BBQ and loves to eat it, but isn't patient enough to really cook it. He will like the book from the personality angle. I think it's worth the price and the time to read. We're planning on doing a whole hog for July 4th and we'll be using Myron's section on whole hog as our compass.

Pat
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    PFSmith wrote:
    We're planning on doing a whole hog for July 4th and we'll be using Myron's section on whole hog as our compass.

Pat
    Pat, please post a thread of that cook, with pics; we'd be interested in knowing how it goes! :)

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Myron is the winningest man in Q.Nuff said.Is he cashing in on it?Sure.I would too.Is his directions perfect?No.He gives options.Does he give away his secrets?Sure he does,for enough money. :laugh: He's a Rock Star now!He is no different than Emril or that nice Irish boy. :laugh:
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    PLEASE let me know how it turns out.I have been wanting to do one for ages,just can't pull the trigger. :blush: