Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

when to replace gasket?

Options
CaCook
CaCook Posts: 68
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
my original felt gasket is distorted / crispy / disintegrating around certain parts, mostly it is in the lower gasket and the upper part still look nice.

I don't see smoke escaping so I was wondering if I should replace it or not yet?

thanks

Comments

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    I have replaced, replaced, and replaced but I wouldn't touch it if you can hold 250* dome.
  • srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    Options
    o The gasket is there to help with temperature control by controlling the air flow into the egg.

o If you don't do low-n-slow cooks, but only cook hot, then you probably don't need to replace it. In fact, I would be quite tempted to completely remove what's there.

o If you do low-n-slow and are able to maintain the 250°F needed, then I think I would take a pass on replacing the gasket at this time.

I replaced my gasket a few times before I came to understand the above. When/if it's time to replace my Rutland gasket, I think I will simply remove what's there and try a couple of cooks without a gasket to see if one is really needed ON MY EGG - different Eggs have different sealing characteristics. If it turns out that I can sufficiently control the low-n-slow temperatures (which is most of the cooking I currenlty do on the egg), then my Egg may never see another gasket.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    good advice, but unless you suffer adhesive failure it's highly unlikely that you will burn up the 2,200° Rutland gasket!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.