Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chickens w/ Herb Butter

Gator Bait
Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Hi All,

I had a couple chickens from Sam's that I had picked up for 70¢ a pound and decided to go old school and do a herb butter for them.

For the herb butter I used:

3 Sticks of Butter softened
4 T Herbs de Provence
2 T Granulated Garlic
1 T Sea Salt
1 t Black Pepper

The Herbs de Provence is homemade and is:

4 T Thyme
3 T Marjoram
1 T Oregano
1 T Basil
1 t Rosemary ground
1 t Sage ground
1.5 t Anise Seed ground

The Anise Seed is optional and not traditional. :)

I chopped up a couple large sweet onions and sliced a couple lemons and used them to stuff the birds. I then rubbed plenty of herb butter under the skin and tied everything up. I have a medium egg so I tied the drum sticks tight to the body for now. Half way through I untied them and the birds fit my egg much better. In the end they were done the same time as the breast. I had expected the herbs to run down the sides of the chicken with the butter so I had used plenty. As it turned out the herbs stayed right where they were applied.
DSCN8140A_640.jpg

The egg was set up with a raised grate, indirect and DigiQ dialed in to 340º pit temperature and 165º food temperature. I was guessing about 2 hours and I was right on.
DSCN8144A_640.jpg

These are the most tender and juiciest chickens I have ever had! The flavors are great. The leg and wing sections needed almost no carving and almost fell off in my hand.
DSCN8154A_640.jpg

Have a great Memorial Day All,

Blair

Comments