Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket

Options
surveyor
surveyor Posts: 124
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First off I am going to say something that most of us already know. Bruce and the Big Green egg Company are great the way they stand behind their products. I just replaced the bottom of the Large due to a smal hairline crack. Got the new bottom for free!! The new bottom has the factory gasket and I had a Nomex so the dome has the nomex. Is that OK until the bottom burns out? or should I replace the bottom now?

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Guessing it won't make any difference if you have mixed gasket material. The gap between base and dome should be good.

However, if the felt fails or better stated if the felt adhesive fails it will likely ooze and may adhere to the nomex. That's all depending on how hot you get your egg.

GG
  • surveyor
    surveyor Posts: 124
    Options
    This is the egg that I usually cook pizza so it is the one that I use for the high temp. My first factory gasket lasted 3 years which I think is pretty good. I seem to have a real good fit using the dollar test. If I took the factory gasket off it would be pretty clean and easy to put the nomex on now. Thanks for your imput
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

If your original felt gasket worked before you shouldn't have any problems this time around.

GG
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Good luck! :) I (personally) would use "as is".