Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plum wood??

Options
BB1857
BB1857 Posts: 131
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey everyone. We just cut down a purple plum tree in our front yard and I am wondering how it would be for smoking. Anyone have any experience with this? Sure would make clean up a heck of a lot easier if I can use it in the Egg. Thanks.

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Did a real quick search, this is from the first hit:

APRICOT, PLUM, PEACH, NECTARINE - All have a flavor similar to hickory, but with a milder smoke and fruit notes, these wood are perfect with most lighter meats, such as chicken, turkey, pork and fish. The flavor of sweet woods, once cut, will dissipate and become lost over time, so older supplies may not be as effective at flavoring your meats. When dealing with plum wood, make sure that it is of the fruit bearing varieties.

HTH
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Send me some! :) :P :)
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    i save mine for smoking pecans.... and almonds......it's very rare.... don';t waste it !.........rr
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    i save mine for smoking pecans.... and almonds......it's very rare.... don';t waste it !.........rr
  • BB1857
    BB1857 Posts: 131
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I feel even better about cutting down that crappy tree now! Love this forum! :woohoo: B)
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Yep.Good stuff. ;)
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I smoke pecans with pecon wood. :)