Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nature Boy - Woo Doggies, You Be da Thigh Masters!

Options
GrillMeister
GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ahhhh, life is good.[p]I'm out at Lake Travis, home of the Texas Eggfest, Sunny, 82 degrees, and I brought my Large BGE with me.[p]I took Woo Doggies up on his recent post on Chicken Thighs. Well, we're in heaven here. Hot juicy thighs and wireless Internet access. What eles is there?[p]Anyway, I know the Dizzy Pig guy rocks on thighs, so I thought I'd give it a try for the first time this year out at the lake.[p]I rubbed olive oil on them and dusted them with garlic salt & parsley. I left two of the without sauce and finished them with Chappell Hill Tangy BBQ Sauce. What an ASWSOME experience.[p]It brings a whole new dimension to chicken thighs! I'll be doing them at the Texas Eggfest.[p]Hot Thighs! Whoda Thunk it?[p]Cheers,[p]GrillMeister
Austin, Tx

Cheers,

GrillMeister
Austin, Texas

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    Sounds good. Tell me more about this sauce?
    Have fun at the lake. 40's, cloudy and rainy here the past 3 days, and cold and rain expected right through monday. What a great week for the kids to have spring break! [p]Hope you gotchya some sunshine.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • GrillMeister,
    Would you be willing to share that recipe / technique? Pretty please with sugar on top!
    Thanks

• GrillMeister
    Options
    Mike_W,[p]I followed Woo Doggies recommendation to cook them on a raised grid direct, around 250-270 dome for about 1.5 to 2 hours, flipping every half hour or so. [p]I rubbed the thighs with olive oil and dusted them with McCormick California Style Coarse Grind Blend of Garlic Salt & Parsley (I forgot to pack my Dizzy Pig rubs, Dagnabit)[p]At the end I raised the temp up to 350 the last 15 minutes to crisp the skin and then I sauced all but 2 with Chappel Hill Sausage Tangy BBQ Sauce. It's a great sauce from a butcher shop in Chappel Hill, Texas just outside Houston.[p]Momma and the kids loved em! [p]Cheers

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • GrillMeister
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]It's from Chappel Hill Sausage, a local butcher shop located in Chappel Hill, Texas (just outside Houston).[p]It's a tasty tomato based BBQ sauce with a little kick to it at the end. It's turned out to be one of my favorites for saucing chicken & ribs. I'm always going to Houston and I drive right by this place along with my favorite butcher shop, Burton Sausage in Burton, Texas. Burton Sausage has the best spare ribs I've ever cooked and they have Green Onion Sausage that is to die for when smoked with hickory. Both Sausage companies are located on Rt. 290 between Austin & Houston. I take a cooler with me when ever I head that way.[p]Cheers,[p]GrillMeister

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Hey Ed, glad the thighs worked for you... your combination of rub and sauce sounds really good.[p]Right now I'm sitting on my dad's computer about 90 miles south of Chapel Hill, NC..... which is the home of the "we pulled last night's win over Villanova outta of our arse" TarHeels.[p]Enjoy your Easter weekend.... I've got a country ham baking as I type..... cheers![p]John[p][p]

• GrillMeister,
    Thank you sir I look forward to tryin them.
    Mike