Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

maple syrup storage.

Options
snake701uk
snake701uk Posts: 187
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am getting closer to doing Egret’s Ham (earlier posts). As such I have just received a ½ Gallon of grade A Pennsylvania dark amber maple syrup. I got a friend from Meadville PA to give it to my boss during his US trip last week. My boss was really chuffed with me, after travelling half way around the world with this syrup in his suitcase!!!! He even paid for it. LOL
Now I have to open it and use it on 2 turkey “legs (hams)” to be smokes roasted and grilled tom. No probs for cook. However once opened it has to be refrigerated as per label.
How long would it last?
Can I divide it into sterilized jars and distribute if still cold to friends (including my boss). Then I have to tell him the lifetime.
Any other tips of keeping this amber nectar. My fridge is already full!
Thanks guys, just another silly question from me to work with your wonderful ingredients, which we can’t get here.
Andy

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I have some Vermont grade B in a bottle that is 3 years old in the frig and it makes great hams, etc.
  • MCR
    MCR Posts: 270
    Options
    Good maple syrup will last for a very long time...

It might built a skin on top after a certain period but it does not change the quality or the safety of the maple syrup. Simply remove the skin and enjoy!

My mom was storing her in the pantry but again it would get eaten before anything could happen...
    Marc
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    It lasts a long time in the fridge. I don't test that theory as I love the stuff and it's in my veins and a mason jar don't last too long. Had some an hour ago actually. My cousin makes it in Ontario.

Anyways if it ever gets a mold or off taste all you have to do is boil it and skim off the impurities and you are good to go. Enjoy.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Your worry is mold and eventual crystallization

You can divide into jars. Sterilizing is overkill because opening a factory sealed jug of syrup means it's no longer sterile anyway

We keep maple syrup in the pantry, then when opened the small jars go in the fridge. As a kid, we had gallon tin cans, and those were stored at room temp

No deadly bacterial safety issues to worry about, just flirting with mold (which you fish out, rather than throwing out the whole jar itself).

For pancakes and silimr stuff, heat the syrup through, just slightly less than 'hot"

Pour whatever s left over back in the jar
    The stuff is safe at room temp. But best quality is maybe maintained in the fridge
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    in the fridge it will probably last a very... very... very long time.

odds are you'll go through it before you have anything to worry about
    context is important :)
  • N.E. Egger
    N.E. Egger Posts: 39
    Options
    No worries storing it for any length of time. The only suggestion have would be to wipe around the rim of the bottle with a warm rag before putting in the fridge. I've had the syrup crystallize into sugar and not be able to open it.
    Glenn
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Break it down into smaller quantities,refridgerate and forget it.If it crystalizes,reheat it.
  • sodacracker
    sodacracker Posts: 11
    Options
    Canadian here - maple syrup is a household staple for us and I use it daily as a sweetener - 1.5 gallons in the fridge right now.

If you are not a big user of it, you can freeze some and thaw out as needed. Leave a bit of space in the container you freeze it in to allow for expansion.

Otherwise, we just store it in the fridge and occasionally have to run hot water over the cap to melt away the maple sugar "candy" that forms from crystallization.
  • snake701uk
    snake701uk Posts: 187
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice. Justed egged 2 turkey joints injectd with the syrup. Real good. Andy