Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerky Meat

Options
Bubba's dad
Bubba's dad Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can anyone tell me the best meat to use for beef jerky?

How thick do you have it sliced?

Do you cook it direct ?

Method?

Thanks and God Bless America

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I do not do jerky.I have seen on here that lean cuts are best.Good luck.
  • Papaegger17
    Papaegger17 Posts: 13
    Options
    The butcher shop I use to work in used eye of the round roasts. We also smoked another butchers shop that didn't have any smoke houses and the used brisket flats.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    I use flank steak or eye of round, with a dry rub, marinated for 24 hours. Freezer for one hour. Slice 1/8th inch thick across the grain at a 30 degree angle. Let meat come to RT. Slow cook at low temp ( 120-150) with your choice of wood chunks and lump for about 8-12 hours. Use drip pan on the place setter or wrap place setter in foil. Place strip on the grill..don't crowd then either.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    I love to use flank, but is damn spendy. Last time I think the kid at the meat counter suggested a Chuck roast. It needed some trimming cuz it had some fat ribbons, but sliced about an inch thick, with the gain then cut those into strips. Cured following the package instructions for high mountain. Mixed 3/4 mesquite cure with 1/4 black pepper cure. Layed out on jerky screens and smoked with hickory wood at 175 dome indirect with a drip pan. Loved it! But its an ongoing experiment for me. The cure ratio they recommend makes it a little to salty, I do back off on it a bit.
  • Squirtle
    Squirtle Posts: 15
    Options
    I use eye of round. Slice it with the grain for extra chewey, against the grain for easy chew. Lets see if I can make this image thing work.Jerky.JPG?attachauth=ANoY7crwmTV52YnGhbFN-9X6qzeUqf7mRoMoUJJMKNqpjed7M-sIvysJPXZW7fCv41A-gwqLnFptgxhF7FuYBuYnfHB2BQ1ZZO-cpa6s4OJFrci_eWpR67YUcO0slZBxVMf5J0AC0FnlBqWf81zXBwsR_OhhgYSpnWCNTsXU-jpK5b9S4rSV0DRsKxeJf5bJwgDo56Ncfoe7SVtB7-1O-bXa-ZIMVhqGQw%3D%3D&attredirects=0
  • nuynai
    nuynai Posts: 101
    Options
    I think venison makes the best jerky but don't know your opinion on hunting. If you send me a PM, I'll send you a page from a very good book I have on how to do it and what cuts of beef he recommends. It has all the info you'll need.
    Another option is, to use 90% lean ground beef, turkey chicken, game, etc. They sell a item that resembles a chalking gun. You put the seasoned ground meat in it and than push it out on your drying tray. If you ever see the commercial jerky, that's how they get uniform strips of it.
    The turkey and chicken are bland and will need extra seasoning.
    Also, I'll include a recipe that I use to good reviews.
    Take Care.
  • Squirtle
    Squirtle Posts: 15
    Options
    I might have it figured out this time....
    Jerky.jpg?t=1306620309