Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Steaks

Options
dublin
dublin Posts: 140
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can anyone tell me the difference between Pork Steaks and Pork Chops.
Thx
Dublin

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    dublin,
    Pork steaks come from the butt, chops come from the loin. I like to cook pork steaks real hot to burn all the fat off. They have more fat but more flavor in some aspects.[p]CWM

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    how thick do you cut the steaks and how hot

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Around 1/2 inch, kinda thin so they cook longer. Thicker steaks will be tougher. 500-600 turning very frequently. About the last 2 minutes, I sauce with Gates BBQ sauce.[p]Mike

• about $1.oo per pound with pork steaks being the cheaper cut.............[p]Yo dublin, Since Ken and Mike already answered your question correctly, I thought I would throw my humorous two cents in. [p]I cut my BBQ teeth on pork steaks. My earliest BBQ memories are of my dad and uncles cooking pork steaks at the family reunions we held at the park. (Just a block away from Kelly Keefe's childhood home. LOL) The men would cook the pork steaks on the big community grill at the park. They slow cooked these on grills that sat 30" over the fire. [p]Anyhoooooo, I still cook up pork steaks from time to time as they are still a favorite. Here is how I do mine:
    ======================================================================================================
    I marinate my pork steaks with the same recipe I use for rib tips:[p]2 cups Wishbone Spicy French Dressing
    1 cup lemon juice
    2 cups apple juice
    2 cups cherry cola
    1 cup Woeber's Spicy mustard
    1/4 cup habenero hot sauce
    1/4 cup BBQ rub (optional)[p]You can reserve some of the marinade for a baste if you so desire. I don't basted the steaks for the first hour or two of the cooking time.[p]Due to the acidic content of the marinade, I would not marinate the pork steaks more than eight hours or the meat will turn to mush. Because of the sugar in the marinade, I do not cook the meat directly over the coals or above 250ºF. I like to use cherry wood for the smoke flavor.[p]Depending on the thickness of the steaks, they take anywhere from two to four hours to cook. You won't be able to render all the fat out between the muscle areas like you do a pork shoulder, but quite a bit of the fat will cook out. I consider the steaks done once you can easily separate the muscle areas. Once you can pull two areas of the meat apart, apply the finish sauce of your choice and give the sauce a little time to thicken on meat.[p]====================================================================================================[p]Lager,[p]Juggy[p]

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    thanks, something new to try. next time im making sausages ill cut up a few steaks. sounds too easy and too good

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it