Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost Halloween and if you’re cooking on your EGG, you may end up with more people knocking on your door asking for pork chops than candy! In case you’re willing to share and want to please a crowd, we recommend warm Margherita Pizza, FGL’s Lemon Pepper Wings or our favorite, S’mores in a Cone!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Meatloaf Recipe from Athens Eggfest

Lake Conroe EggerLake Conroe Egger Posts: 285
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Several people requested the recipe for the meatloaf I served in Athens. Someone on the forum posted a link to this recipe some time ago and search as might I couldn't find out who it was. This is the the actual tweak to that recipe as it was served in Athens. This makes a LOT of meatloaf. I make multiple loaves and freeze, vacpac and store in the freezer for quick access as needed. Here ya go:

Ain't Momma's Meatloaf for 40

Description: This is a tweak to a recipe from Jamison & Jamison`s Smoke and Spice.

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp Oil
3 cups Minced Onion
3 Sweet Pepper (Green Or Red)
20 Garlic Cloves
3 Tbsp Fresh Ground Black Pepper
3 Tbsp Salt (I Used Coarse Kosher)
1 Tbsp Ground Cumin
8 pounds Ground Beef, (I ground up an 8lb. brisket (trimmed about 2lbs. fat off) and 3lbs. sirloin)
5 pounds Ground Pork, (I ground up a 6lb. pork butt)
10 cups Dry Bread Crumbs , (I used Panko)
1 ¼ cups Sour Cream
1 cup Worcestershire Sauce
7 Egg
1 ⅔ cups Beef Stock
3 Tbsp Tabasco
Dizzy Pig Cow Lick
Your Favorite Barbecue Sauce, (I used Carnavore - Chipotle)

Directions:
In a heavy skillet, warm the oil and then saute the onion, bell pepper, garlic, pepper, salt and cumin until the vegetables are softened. Spoon the vegetable mixture into a large bowl and let cool for a few minutes.

Add the remaining ingredients and mix well with your hands. Form into loaves and sprinkle liberally with DPCL.

Set up the Egg for an indirect fire and a raised grid. Stabilize the fire at around 350 and add a few chunks of your favorite mild wood.

Put the loaves on the grid and close it all up.

It will take between and hour and an hour and a half to finish. I used an internal of 160 as my target. When you`re relatively sure that you`re about a half hour from finish, coat the top of the meatloaf liberally with your favorite barbecue sauce. Allow the loaf to rest 10 minutes before slicing.

The only thing that surpasses the dinner of this meatloaf is the left over sandwiches!

Comments