Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

1st Boston Butt on the BGE

TheLazyCTheLazyC Posts: 87
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put two 8lb butts on at 250 and they were to temp in only 9 hours, which came in about 3 hours early based on the 1.5 hours per pound that I was expecting.

I was somewhat disapointed, when I pulled them off they were 187-212 degrees according to the ThermoPen, I was hoping they would be falling apart but only sections.

Had a good flavor, is there anything I could have done to get them falling to peices?

And also, I calibrting my thermometer AFTER the cook and it came in 12 degrees off, at boiling point it was reading 200 so I adjusted to 212 which means my butt cooked at approx 238 dome.

Comments

• skihornskihorn Posts: 600
    I have only done three butts, so I am no expert. Mine have all taken MUCH longer and I was doing them at roughly the same temp as you.

The one comment I can offer is you say the thermopen had it at 187 to 212. Normally I would just use the lowest temp I can find in the meat (usually at the center). Therefore, my thinking is that means you pulled it at 187. That is about 10 degrees cooler than when I have pulled mine. That would partly explain the time difference, but I still wouldn't have expected that big a difference. That may also explain the tenderness. I have pulled all three of mine in the 197 range, wrapped and rested in a cooler and found it to be VERY tender and falling apart.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • TheLazyCTheLazyC Posts: 87
    I guess I am just going to have to cook another and another until I get it right! :)
  • skihornskihorn Posts: 600
    That's the spirit!

Big pieces of meat are intimidating, because it usually means you have a lot of guests over and want it to be just right. I don't ever cook a brisket or butt just for the immediate family, so it is hard to experiment. For my first butt I did it for my inlaws. Perfect combo as there were eight of us eating (enough to justify a butt) but being my inlaws I didn't really care if it wasn't good. :)

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • srq2625srq2625 Posts: 262
    It's just the DW and me at home now and I cook a couple of pork butts every once in a while (they come in twos from CostCo).

I find that if you FoodSaver them in smaller amounts and then freeze them they defrost and warm very nicely.

So, no need to wait for a crowd - practice and enjoy the dividends!
  • probe1957probe1957 Posts: 191
    I am with Skihorn. Your butt just wasn't done. Fortunately there is a long weekend coming up so you can cook another. :)
  • Capt. RichCapt. Rich Posts: 153
    Did my first Boston Butt this past Sunday. It really was awesome. 5.7 lbs seasoned it with some yellow mustard & bone suckin mustard, then rubbed on a coat of Bad Byrons Butt Rub. Cooked it about 10 1/2 hours. It literally just fell apart.
    BostonButt.jpg