Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where Did I Go Wrong ???

Grillin&Chillin
Grillin&Chillin Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night I cooked some rib eyes that didn't turn out well. I know, how do you screw up steaks?
I started with a 550 degree dome. I put 6 boneless rib eyes on my large BGE. They nearly covered the cooking surface. Bottom vent was wide open and top vent nearly so. I cooked 4 minutes, opened and turned. Cooked another 3 minutes and removed. When the top was opened there was a lot of flames from fat burning off. Other than to flip and remove, I didn't open the top during the cook.
Now for the problem - all the steaks had that "flamed fat" taste to them. I'm not sure how else to describe it. I experienced it more when cooking fatty foods on my old gas grill. All the steaks looked fine - nice, even char on the outside and medium rare inside.

All comments/suggestions are welcome.

Comments

• thegrillster
    thegrillster Posts: 348
    Was your smoke clear before putting on the steaks? How long did you let the fire burn before cooking?
  • Smokinb
    Smokinb Posts: 103
    You may want to try the reverse sear method, starting at lower temp, and finishing high.
  • Smokinb
    Smokinb Posts: 103
    You may want to try the reverse sear method, starting at lower temp, and finishing high.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    it might have just been to much fat with that many steaks... i have done that with chix thighs direct and had that same taste. maybe two batches are in order with that many...
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Flame is the enemy, heat is good!

I sear on both sides, as you did. remove, add Plate Setter + drip pan with water. Wait for 350/400 and add steak to finish.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    you'll need to trim most of the fat if doing that many ribeyes, including that fat socket. Or cook them at lower temps. I learned trimming the fat after one of my first blackening cook, see pic below. thought for sure one of the neighbors was going to call the fire departement.

121_2119.jpg
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • I use this method, hot as you can get 600-700 sear 2 min, flip 2 more min, close all vents flip and roast for 2-3 min. depending on thickness.I let them get to 130 inside and serve. I like mine med. rare. Works every time. I think you got a lot of flame due to the vents bieng open.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    I always sear mine at 500+ with the lid OPEN you need all the oxigen to have a proper combustion & sear. You will see lots of flames dont't worry they won't burn leave them for 90 to 120 seconds/side pull and close lid & vents completely. Wait for the dome temp to come down to 380 or so & stabilize. Put ribeyes back close lid & pull at desired internal temp I like mine at 135.
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    winemaker ron wrote:
    I use this method, hot as you can get 600-700 sear 2 min, flip 2 more min, close all vents flip and roast for 2-3 min. depending on thickness.I let them get to 130 inside and serve. I like mine med. rare. Works every time. I think you got a lot of flame due to the vents bieng open.

I do it basically like this as well and get great results every time. Perhaps that 4 minutes on one side was a bit long.

I've cooked many steaks with flames up and tickling my meat and still get great results. I don't mind a bit of flame personally, but wouldn't want that for 4 minutes straight. Sometimes I'll close the top vent a bit to kill off flames that are too much if I have alot of fat dripping. Could be from adding some bacon to the grill with the steaks. Mmm bacon.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    How about those who 'T-Rex' their steaks diretly on the lump? Doesn't this create an infernal, fat-burning scenario or does it just get vulcanized?? Can anyone 'splain this? Thanks~~!