Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Doing a brisket.

Reverend BSB
Reverend BSB Posts: 157
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put an 11 lb brisket on around midnight, checking on it here and there it seems to be in the plateau since around 4 am. The flat is done, so I am thinking about cutting that off, then cutting it up and putting it back on for burnt ends. Any thoughts from someone with more brisket experience?

Comments

• What's the temp on the 'done' flat? 4 hrs likely isn't enough time for it to be tender and juicy. Keep the flat for nice long slices ... use the point for burnt ends. Most people pull the brisket between 195 -200 deg in the flat ... separate the point ... then dice up the point and stick it back on in a foil back with extra sauce and/or rub and give them another couple of hours.
  • Reverend BSB
    Reverend BSB Posts: 157
    The brisket has been on since midnight, it was 170 around 4 am. The flat of the brisket is now 195, but the fat end of the brisket is still at 175 and has been since 4 am. I am wondering if I should cut the flat off to avoid overcooking it and leave the fat side on to finish.
  • That's certainly an option ... if it's done the point will almost slide off the flat. If you have insulated gloves you could probably just pull them apart ... careful of removing your bark though! Running a knife through should be easy to separate as well. You could pull it all off. Separate them, foil the flat and store in a cooler stuffed with towels, dice up the point and put it back on for traditional burnt ends (Foiled with more rub and/or sauce). They can take a couple hours of cooking while your flat rests.

JM
  • Don't forget ... if you take a thermo and have to use any effort at all to slide it into your flat ... it may not be ready yet. Just because it's 195 doen't mean for sure it's ready ... it's close ... but if the texture isn't buttery smooth, you may want to give it a few more degrees. Have had some come off at 193 ... and last nights was 199.

JM