Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Overnight boar shoulder...keeping the fire

Options
1st5
1st5 Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm doing my first overnight cook starting tonight on my large egg. My friend and I shot a really nice boar, 300 lbs, and we're doing one of the shoulders for a dinner party tomorrow. (We have back up plans just in case!) I don't have any fancy fans or pit temp gauges (I do have a decent meat thermo to keep track of meat temp). I just plan on going on instict, keeping dome temp around 225-250, and going for about 18 hours (it's a huge shoulder). I'm adding apple chips for smoke and using Royal Oak Steakhouse lump.

Any tips I should be aware of for this strategy?

Comments

• jaymag_87
    jaymag_87 Posts: 111
    Options
    That's pretty much how I did the pork shoulder I cooked last night.

There are some good tips on http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/ about checking doneness.

Good luck.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Set your alarm to check the fire once during the night.
    I started my first overnight smoke last night too (I shot a 12-lb brisket ;) ) thought I had the temp stabilized at 230 but this morning it was out, although the internal temp of the brisket was 160 so I just restarted the fire and am keeping an eye on it.

Good luck, and make sure to post pics! I've never had boar.

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Egg temps seem to be slightly more stable at 250 than 230. If it is really big I would even consider 275ish.
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Options
    Now, THAT was funny as hell, Botch!!
  • Frank from Houma
    Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
    Options
    Went native when I did this Russian hog shoulder
    101_2129640x480.jpg

101_2131640x480.jpg

Suggestions:

Load your lump up about half way up the firering for a long cook.
    Light in three places (About 1-1/2 hours before putting the shoulder on)
    Leave the platesetter out the first ten minutes or so
    Add platesetter and foil pan to catch drippings - use green feet or wads of foil to support pan off the platesetter
    Start closing down the vents at about 225 dome temp
    1/8" opening and the bottom and about the same on the top
    Make any fine adjustments to get to 250 dome - I like to ensure it's stable for 30 minutes or so before putting the meat on.
    Don't worry about hitting 250 exactly - If it's stable somewhere between 240 to 275 - go with it
    The temp will go down after putting the shoulder on but don't make any adjustments - you still have a 250 dome fire

Go heavy with the rub if you like a lot of bark.

Good luck with it.