Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

First RIb Attempt

crunkcrunk Posts: 94
edited 9:57AM in EggHead Forum
Here is my first attempt of Ribs on my brand new large egg...I followed the Car Wash Mike recipe and they took a little longer than the recipe said to get done but in the end they turned out great....if anyone sees something wrong with my setup or method please dont hesitate to give me any ideas...Thanks a lot!!

Ribs1.jpg

Ribs2.jpg

Ribs3.jpg

Comments

• WeberWhoWeberWho Posts: 3,525
    Don't think they would have lasted long enough for a picture around here. They look fantastic!
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,969
    crunk,

They look good. Did you calibrate the dome thermometer?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• WeberWhoWeberWho Posts: 3,525
    Don't think they would have lasted long enough for a picture around here. They look fantastic!

- Sorry double post (From Cell Phone)
  • dugdbugdugdbug Posts: 244
    BEE U T FULL! :woohoo:
  • vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,091
    Cover your plate setter with HDAF. You will thank me later...all else looks great. B)
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Great looking cook, congratulations and welcome to the forum.

GG
  • walruseggerwalrusegger Posts: 314
    Looks like you nailed it. One tip might be to foil the edges of your grid...about the last 4 or 5 inches on each side...it helps prevent burning or overcooking the last rib or two that hang over the opening of the platesetter.
  • crunkcrunk Posts: 94
    Steve, thanks for the heads up. I had no idea a calibration may be required. whats the best way to go about doing that?
  • MCRMCR Posts: 270
    Boiling water! When the water is boiling dip the tip of your thermometer into it and should read in 210 - 212 range.

Good Luck
    Marc
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,969
    Just boil some water and put the tip in, wear a glove. If it doesn't read 210 or close there is a nut on the back, grab the nut with an adjustable wrench and turn the dial to the right temp.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• MaineggMainegg Posts: 7,787
    :( :S
  • vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,091
    :whistle: :silly: :lol: :) :woohoo: :side:
  • Frank from HoumaFrank from Houma Posts: 5,755
    CWM would say "nice ribbies"

In the first pic there is foil on top of the platesetter and none in the second pic. Good idea to srap it in foil to keep it relatively clean.

Nice cook
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 8,584
    They look great! One thought is if you are only making 2 racks, you could cut them in half ahead of time to keep the ends from hanging over the plate setter. However, some people like em a little extra chewy.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    Great looking ribs crunk. :P

You should have made more. :woohoo:
  • crunkcrunk Posts: 94
    Jason, You are 100% correct...I realized that soon after i took the second picture and went ahead and cut them in half..Thanks for the tip!