Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Four 9 lb butts....

Options
Brobear
Brobear Posts: 43
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am into the 15th hour of my largest cook. A few things I have noticed by having that much poundage on the large egg. First, I know now that you have to arrange properly to keep the dome probe from piercing the meet. Also, the outer edge of the grid were I could place a probe to read grid temps was significantly higher than the dome temp due to the mass of meat. It seems also I have had to fool with the temp at times more than usual. Could this be due to alot of fat and such dripping down the sides? The one drip pan and plate setter can only catch so much:). [p]I am currently waiting out the plateu at around 159 degrees. It was interesting to see the drop in meat temp during this rendering phase. The outer grid temp is 265 with a dome temp of 230. I will probably bump up the temp a little more shortly. It's amazing how obsessive egging can be :)). By the way, does anyone make a wireless thermometer that will alert you if the temp gets too low? The one I have lets me know when it is too high. Of course I know about the guru but have not worked up to that yet.[p]

Comments

• Brobear,
    It seems you have it going on. One thing that I do is not use a drip pan. I use alluminum foil. Cut a piece large enough to cover the plate setter and keep the indented sides of the setter from being covered. turn the foil up all around to catch the drippings. When you are finished, chunck the foil. No mess to clean up and a lot cheaper that pans. [p]Jerry

• Brobear
    Brobear Posts: 43
    Options
    Jwirlwind,[p]Thanks for the advice on the foil. I will definately do that next time. That has really been my only problem because the temps have been kind of screwy. [p]

• Brobear,
    Maverick ET-73 has 2 probes. Food temp and
    grill temp with high and low settings. Weatherproof
    also. $39.95 at several on-line sources.[p]DLR