Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3 weeks in...

crkscrw
crkscrw Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Everyone,[p]Well, I've had my Egg about 3 weeks now and have tried a number of things. Steaks have been unbelievable--easily the best I've ever cooked. Pork loin was nice and moist--needed a flavor boost however(ordered up some Dizzy Pig today to help with that). Pizza last night was mixed--I clearly did not let my stone preheat long enough for the first one. The second was better, but I think there was something off about my dough--I make pizza all the time in the oven, so hopefully it won't take long to perfect it in the egg.
Funny, though that I've been least satisfied with chicken, which is what most of ya'll say is the easiest. It always comes out really moist, but the flavor seems a little intense. I don't have a grid extender yet so am cooking it very close to the fire. Could this be the problem? Also, should I try regulating the temp with the bottom vent while letting the smoke escape out an open top? Any advice appreciated...

Comments

• crkscrw,
    Youre heading in the right direction for sure! I had to remove the daisey and regulate with the bottom vent to make the family happy too. Also make sure that your fire is well established before the chicken goes on! Good luck!

• StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    crkscrw,[p]Is it too smokey ? What is you meanin by intense ? From what I seen..them chickens is smoke ho's. You give em smoke..they'll take it an then some..now unless you really like smoke..or really like smokey chicken ho's...I'd maybe not put too much smokin wood in there. An another thing..it may be smoke is not the prollem..least of all wood smoke..that chicken could be drippin all its fat into the fire...which will burn on the hot lump..and spew bad chicken fat burnin smoke bak up on your chicken ho. I don't like this flavor myself..I try and limit the chicken fat from drippin off of my chicken ho and into the fire, that's why I cook them over a drip pan..but too each his or her own..some folks may like it..I personally don't.[p]Hope this helps and oyu can get betta tastin chicken ho's..its like the egg was made for em or somethin.[p]StumpBaby

• wdan
    wdan Posts: 261
    crkscrw,
    Stump is spot-on...smoke ho's is the symptom of your problem. Had the same issues too when I first started egging (and in actuality, it was not the egg, but the lump). Volatile impurities (that's what the chemists call them...so would that SAC base commander in "Dr. Strangelove") burn off when you initially light the lump. This is because lump is not quite perfect charcoal (pure carbon) and there are still a few odds and sods in it that produce a flame when they burn off. Once there is no more flame, you are burning what is close to pure carbon. Carbon only gives off carbon dioxide when it burns and it has a colorless flame. There are still some other things in your lump that produce the ash as it burns. But most of the heavy smell is in those volatiles when you first light up. Let the stuff burn for awhile before putting on those chickens. But as Stump said, chickens (and all poultry for that matter) are truly smoke ho's and will suck the smoke off a trailer hitch. You'll get the hang of it after awhile.