Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sausage casings

cookn biker
cookn biker Posts: 13,407
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I went with natural hog casings. Package doesn't tell the grade or diameter. It does say will make 25-30 pounds.
This will be a fun adventure!
Molly
Colorado Springs
"Loney Queen"
"Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Hog casings are all the same size.
    Have fun!

(frikkin iPhone 'corrected' my typing again)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • cookn biker
    I was hoping you or Wayne would comment. My book has almost too much info on this. Which is a good thing.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Molly:

Do you have a clone of Polidori?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • cookn biker
    Not yet. :evil:
    I am going to Kings Soopers to order 2 cases of it.(If the manager will....they better) If that works out, I can do another order closer to Denver fest, if you want.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Molly:

I heard last year that a super mart carries it not that
    far from the Drury Inn. If that is true no need for you to go to the expense. Appreciate the thought tho . . . :pinch:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Molly: That's a fine choice! Did they have lamb casings, too? Are they packed in salt?
  • cookn biker
    No lamb. Packed in salt. My book, http://www.amazon.com/Great-Sausage-Recipes-Meat-Curing/dp/0025668609/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1305157170&sr=1-1

said they'd be packed in a liquid solution.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Rinse 'em off, and soak 'em for an hour with a couple water changes. Before stuffing, run some water through the inside, too. The brine packed are harder to find. Fun stuff!
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Make sure the casing is completely clean. Wash even it is labeled pre-cleaned..trust you nose. Also try not to have air pockets during filling process. Have fun...you are in for an adventure!. :laugh:
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • cookn biker
    Thanks Joan. Adventure ready!! :laugh: :laugh:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
  • cookn biker
    It'll be fun with Kari, Jon and me. :woohoo:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    I have used 2 different sizes of natural hog casings for italian style sausages...and sheep casings for breakfast link sized sausages...soaking and rinsing is the key...no big deal really...will be some of the best sausge you ever ate..
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    :S :blink: :silly: Wish I was there!!! :)
  • :woohoo:

this is going to be FUN!! :laugh:
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    the easy way to rinse em.... is to slip one end over the sink faucet and let water run through..... it takes out the twists too.... let 'em soak in a bowl of water for a while to ...... you'll get less "blowout" when stuffing....if you're going to use rytec's recipes..... cut way back on the salt..... his salt content will have ya growing antler's after your first batch....i started making sausage 33 years ago using that book as a reference....( you'll figure out what you like and can adjust your recipes from there.... good luck..... it's indeed an adventure.... i love it!....i started with a little Oster,"home center" grinder/stuffer.....( what used to take hours now takes me few minutes) fortunately, i now have acquired all the high end gear..... if you really like it..... it's worth the investment.....the only down side to the whole thing....... you end up becoming a "free" sausage vendor.....i used to make a hundred pounds of kielbasa at time( with my little unit) i only make batches of 30 pounds now for personal use........ got tired of the cartoon character , "wimpy from Popeye" syndrome....." i'll take five rings.... and i'll gladly pay you on tuesday"....that was in my early days....the egg makes smoking a few rings very easy....rr
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Wess.... you're right! ..... once you start making you own.... store bought.... just does not cut it.... try dicing onions and peppers and mixing it in with the meat...? and then stuff it....ray
  • nuynai
    nuynai Posts: 101
    Most people don't know this but there are various kinds of casings. Natural and Collagen. Natural is made from animal intestines, lamb, hog, etc. Collagen is made from processed beef hide. This is used for heavy sausages, that natural casing would not be strong enough to support during smoking or cooking. If you eat a piece of sausage with a tough, harder casing, that's collagen. Most fresh sausages use natural. As previously mentioned, Great Sausage Making, is the go to book on sausages and instruction. It's that's detailed that most will never use them all and it has products for the professional processor. Check out sausagemaker.com. They have numerous casings, sizes and they tell you what they are used for. Here we can get fresh packed casings in salt from local butchers. All you have to do is soak them in water for several hours, draining with fresh water ever hour or so. A tip I found with collagen casings are, when putting them on the sausage stuffer tube, is to wet the end with water, as this softens it up, expands it and makes it easier to get on without any problem or frustration.
    Hope this helps and good luck.