Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket

Options
brenkj
brenkj Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm a BGE newbie (first cook last night) and I'm thinking I might try a brisket next. I like to smoke my briskets at about 225 and it usually takes 15 hours or so at that temp. Am I going to be able to cook that long on the BGE without having to replenish the charcoal? I not, what's the best way to add charcoal in the middle of a cook?

Thanks.

Comments

• brenkj
    brenkj Posts: 21
    Options
    Also, is it a good idea to put a pan of liquid inside the plate setter to keep everything moist and help hold down the heat?

Thanks.
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    Loaded well up into the fire ring, my large has gone well over 24 hours at 250-275, shouldnt be any problem,enjoy your new egg!!
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    not nessesary with the egg,it reatins moisture very well! I usually put a drip pan or foil just to keep the mess off of it
  • walrusegger
    walrusegger Posts: 314
    Options
    Of course there are some other variables that could influence things (weather, temp fluctuations, etc...), but if you have a full load of lump, you'll probably only burn half of it in 15 hours in mild weather like most of the country gets this time of year.
  • Egghead Willie
    Options
    As the others said if you load up with lump you will not need to add. I've never added a water pan as the food coming off the egg is so dang moist.
  • srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    Options
    I've done 16 hour, low-n-slow, indirect cooks in near 0°F (-17°C) on my LBGE with the lump just below the top of the fire ring and had LOTS of lump left over at the end.

As for the water pan - to my mind it doesn't make a lot of sense. If one is trying to cook in the 225°F - 250°F range and since water boils at ~212°F - well it just seems that a lot of fuel is being used to boil off that water to get the steam up to a temperature in the cooking range.

But, really, a water pan is not needed. It's not heat that drys out the food. It's airflow across the food and, of course, dryer/warmer airflow will dry out the food faster. But, in the Egg, there's not a lot of airflow to worry about, especially when cooking in the 225°F - 250°F range. With low-n-slow cooks, my food ALWAYS comes out moist and I've yet to use a water pan on my Eggs.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    You are a brave man to try a "beast" for your second egg cook. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: At 225, you can get 24 hours plus from your lump. Just fill it to the top of the fire box and rock and roll.

For more detailed info on brisket cooks check out this link: http://bubbatim.com/Bubba_s_Brisket.php

Good luck and welcome to the journey!.. :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP