Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pineapple upside downcake

Options
crzyedna
crzyedna Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have a recipe I can use on the egg ?? Thanks

Edna

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Here's one made by Ms. Lake Conroe Egger at the 2010 Texas Eggfest. It was delicious.

Cast Iron Skillet Pineapple Upside Down Cake
    Colleen's Pineapple Upside Down Cake at Texas Eggfest 2010

Ingredients:

● 1/2 cup butter
    ● 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
    ● 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
    ● 1 fresh pineapple, peeled, cored,eyes removed, and sliced
    ● 1 pkg butter recipe cake mix
    ● 1/2 cup butter, melted
    ● 2/3 cup water
    ● 3 whole eggs

Directions:

Melt 1/2 c. butter in 10-inch cast iron skillet (a deep one is best). Add brown sugar and stir until sugar is dissolved. Add chopped pecans to mixture just before taking off fire.

Set skillet off heat and then add prepared pineapple. Slice pineapple into rings. (I chop a couple rings into pieces for added pineapple between the slices in bottom of skillet.) Arrange pineapple on top of brown sugar mixture. Maraschino cherries may be placed around at this time.

Prepare cake mix as directed on box. If there is juice from pineapple, that can be used instead of the water to make the 2/3 c. of liquid. Add remaining butter, eggs, and liquid to cake mix stir until thoroughly beaten. Pour on top of pineapple mixture.

Place in green egg indirect at 350 degrees. No lid on skillet. Check every 20 minutes and rotate to ensure even cooking.
    Bake time is about 1 hour but check with wooden toothpick for doneness. Let cake cool for at least 10 minutes. Run knife around cake to loosen from sides of skillet. Invert onto serving plate.

Try it, I think you will like it.

Spring "Got Up On The Down Side Of An Upside Day" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    OOOhhhhh this what you are cooking Saturday Edna? hey Did your sweet son get the frog mats off to you yet? LOL
  • crzyedna
    Options
    Julie, Not for the Sat. demo, but for house guests, wanta join us? I'm still planning to do pineapple tidbits at the demo. I already have one frog mat that was sent in my mother's day box before he got my message - yours are on the way and should have them before Sat.
  • crzyedna
    Options
    Thanks, it looks great, will let you know how it turns out

Edna
  • Frank from Houma
    Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
    Options
    Here is a pic of the cake Mrs. Lake Conroe Egger made at last years Texas Eggfest. If I told you how much I had I would certainly tell a lie and would have to go to confession. :blush:

It was mightyfine
    IMG_1861.jpg

Mr. and Mrs. Lake Conroe Egger at the 2010 Texas Eggfest
    IMG_1832800x600.jpg
  • ewjd
    ewjd Posts: 21
    Options
    Here is a recipe from last years New England Eggfest from a father and son team who kindly shared their recipe.

PINEAPPLE UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE

topping:
    1/2 cup butter
    1 cup brown sugar
    8-9 canned pineapple slices
    candied cherries or 3-4 dried cranberries for each pineapple hole

Drain the pineapple, reserve juice. Melt the butter in a large cast skillet.
    Spread the brown sugar over the melted butter and arrange the pineapple
    slices on top. Fill the center pineapple hole with cherry or cranberry.

cake batter:
    3 lg. eggs separated at room temp.
    1 cup sugar
    5 tablespoons of pineapple juice
    7/8 cup sifted flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    pinch of salt 1/4 teas.

Beat egg yolks until light and fluffy and gradually beat in sugar. Sift dry ingredients
    and fold into egg yolk mixture ALTERNATELY with pineapple juice starting and finishing
    with flour. Gently fold in stiffly-beaten egg whites. Pour batter evenly over pineapple in skillet.

Bake at 375' for 20-30 min. until cake springs back when touched. OR place in Big Green Egg
    with plate setter upright for the same temp and time.