Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Loin Boneless Ribs ?

Options
Gator Bait
Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Hi All,

Thanks for the help with trying to figure out how to cook my mystery meat .

I decided to try my Teriyaki Tangerine marinade again with a few modifications. The new recipe is:

1/2 C Teriyaki Sauce
3/4 C Mirin
3/8 C Rice Vinegar
Juice of 3 Tangerines
Zest of 2 Tangerines
1 T grated Fresh Ginger (generous)
1/2 T Toasted Sesame Oil (3 - 1/2 t's)
1/8 t Cayenne Pepper (generous)
3 T Honey
1/2 t Dry Mustard
1/2 t Nutmeg
1/2 t granulated garlic
1/4 t Black Pepper

Boil for a few minutes to work the flavors.

The original is posted HERE. The addition of the sesame seed oil was good. I have never used it before and like it, it is sort of a smoky, almost sweet sesame flavor. It would be great in salads. I also changed the hot sauce for cayenne pepper as it has no added vinegar flavor. I could increase this amount, I was being cautious. A little more honey also never hurt anything. I marinated for 24 hours.

On to the egg, original grate set high and direct, dome at 400º, mesquite for smoke.
DSCN8090A_640.jpg

Flipped after 5 minutes . . . looking good!
DSCN8091A_640.jpg

Flipped again after 10 minutes and started to sauce them with Blues Hog . . .
DSCN8093A_640.jpg

Pulled from the egg as soon as well sauced . . .
DSCN8095A_640.jpg

Sliced like ribs . . . I couldn't wait and stole a bite off the middle one. I was eager to see if they were tender enough to eat. ;)
DSCN8097A_640.jpg

They are . . . :lol:
DSCN8099A_640.jpg

Boneless ribs? Hahahaha, that's a good one. What's a rib with no bone? I have no idea but these are very tender and juicy and flavorful. They do not have the same flavor as a rib cause there is no bone or all the little connective tissues of a rib and I believe bone and connective tissue equals flavor. They are pork loin so they taste more like a very good chop, just one that looks more like a rib.

Ten minutes cooking time and their internal temperature was 140º or higher except for the end of one that was a little lower. I pushed the time on grill for saucing so I wouldn't overcook any more then I had to. These were cooking fast! They were covering so much of the real estate in my medium egg they were blocking heat from my dome thermometer and it was not much help.

Would I do these again? Absolutely! Will they replace ribs? Sometimes maybe, they are quick, easy and good as long as I can get them with the marbling that these had or close to it. I still love my baby back ribs. There is room to play with with the marinade and sauce. My marinade was good and the sauce was good but there may be slightly better combinations. Blues Hog might have been a little strong, Sonny's Sweet may have been just a tad better.

Have a great week all and a Happy Mothers Day to all.

Blair

Comments

• wkygriller
    wkygriller Posts: 408
    Options
    Blair, They look great!!! I've never seen the boneless ribs before, but if i spot them in the grocery I will give them a try.
    The local grocer here stocks Blues Hog, so its always in our pantry and fridge.. For us it is a bit too sweet on its own, but I have found the perfect mate for it.
    I mix 3/4 BH with 1/4 KC Masterpiece hot and spicy. Had it on baby backs last night and they were perfect!
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Richard, These are a regular in our Sam's Club meat case that I have looked at often. I think a boneless rib is a funny idea. I am now every bit sold on marbling of fat in my pork as I am in my beef. I agree that Blues Hog is powerful stuff and I love it. I usually mix it 50/50 with Sonny's Sweet BBQ sauce. Sonny's is an old BBQ chain here in the southeast and a few years ago started marketing their sweet sauce in other stores. I can get a hug jug of it at Sam's for about $5. What I like about it is that it is not made with molasses. I love molasses but think it gives sauce a heavy flavor, Sonny's is a very good slightly lighter sauce. I wish we could get the Blues Hog locally, I have to order it from BBQ Guru , they are on the east coast and I save on shipping. ;)

Blair

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    country ribs were originally from the discarded small fatty end of the loin, it usually gets ground up. if you can get that piece it has some darker meat and more flavor and you can cut the riblets off the country loin and cook those separately. riblets are a pretty fast cook for a rib fix
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks fishlessman, one of these days I will try the country ribs, they are right next to these at Sam's and I have looked at them often as well.

Blair

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    thing to look for with country ribs is loin cut verse butt cut
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it