Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Doing Brant's Brined Beer-Butt Bird

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tonight I will be cooking our second roaster chicken according to the receipe posted here. The first attempt was darn good (a 4 pounder) and made a believer out of me, but I had a slight concern. As far as order I merely placed a pan on the grill, poured in a full can of beer and added 1/4 cup of apple vinegar and then rested the chicken sitter in the pan. While the bird was never in the liquid it was darn close.I used a probe and while the dome temp remained a constant 260-270 during nearly three hours the highest the internal temp ever got was 152 instead of 180 as per receipe. Was there too much liquid, or was it too close?
Seeing that chicken was consumed two weeks ago and we're still alive I guess it was ok...health wise, but were we merely lucky not to have been visited by those "country cousins" Sam & Ella????

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    RRP, set a second small grill on the pan..then set your sitter on the second grill. Should work fine. The bird is sitting too deep in the pan..never gets a full all around texture or even cook.
    Good luck..C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    And kick that dome temperature up to 350 to 375 F...you will never cook em low again..Betcha the wings and legs. Stick your polder in the thick part of the breast, not touching bone at about the 1.5 hour mark at those temps. Or in the beginning of the cook if you prefer to monitor.
    C~W