Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OK, one more question for first time butt cooker

Options
Vanzo
Vanzo Posts: 125
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is probably a stupid question but I gotta ask.....the 5.5 butt I just had cut has a thick slice of fat on the bottom....do I cook it with the fat down? or up?

Well, I told you it was a stupid question!!!

Vanzo

Comments

• NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    People do both. I personally cut a vast majority of the fat off, but do leave a layer. I cook mine fat side up! Drip pan below with a platesetter.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I cook fat cap down and don't trim and put several cuts through the fat cap.

GG
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    down so it doesnt wash the rub off as it melts. i get mine with the fay mostly removed around 7 pounds
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    If the fat is more than 1/2", I'd trim some off.

My preference is for fat side up, because I think the bark that forms there is best. When I do fat side down, often some of the bark sticks to the grill when I lift the butt out.

You could cause a warp in time and space, and cook it on its side so fat was nether up or down B)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    what sticks to the grid is for the cook to sample from :)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Vanzo
    Options
    Ok thanks a lot...now I'm totally screwed up!! LOL! Guess I'll just experiment and cook this one fat down and the next one fat up and see which one I like best.

And then I'll do one on its side as suggested and see if that causes a time warp as promised!!

Vanzo

ps....remember my neighbors in Tuscaloosa, Alabama who are trying to recover from the tornado. Prayers are most welcome.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    You'll hear both fat up & down, butt either way, you should have a drip pan underneath with some liquid in it to prevent the fat from burning and stinking up your cook.
    8 - ( Aside from mixing some wood chips in with the lump (perhaps apple) I like to throw a few chunks of onion in the fire now & then. They produce a great aroma and if nothing else will have your neighbors drooling all over themselves!!
  • Vanzo
    Options
    directly into the fire?
  • Rascal
    Options
    You got it, my second favorite aroma on this planet!!
  • GeorgiaBorn
    GeorgiaBorn Posts: 178
    Options
    Definitely not a stupid question. I never trim a butt and always cook them fat down. I find that cooking fat down, keeps the nice bark intact that will develop on the top and sides of the butt. Honestly, I don't see an advantage to cooing fat up but some do, I suppose.
  • TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    Options
    Agreed, not a stupid question. I've done both, Fat up and fat down.

No notable difference.

Don't over think it. It's just bbq'n. ;)

T
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Options
    Ah yes!! RRP talked me into trying that when I did my first BGE turkey. Now, I don't wanna light the lump without having a humongous onion on hand to totally enthrall the neighborhood.
  • TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    Options
    Curious. I'm going to have to try this the next time I cook.

White, Yellow, or Red? :laugh:

T
  • Egghead Willie
    Options
    I have done about 8 butts now and all with the fat down. All came out great so I stick with wht works for me.
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Options
    Are you getting the impression that it will work either way? :)

I like to slice the fat in a diamond pattern, called crowning, just because it looks pretty and I can get some more rub in there. I never trim it and the fat side is up. I have a few friends that would eat the bark and fat and nothing else if I let them. :lol: You know the flavor is in the fat.
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • Rascal
    Options
    I've always used white. A few quartered slices slipped through the grid every now & then works great!
  • SlowMotion
    SlowMotion Posts: 7
    Options
    I always cook my butts fat side up with indirect heat. As the butt cooks thru the plateau the fat will render and help keep the meet moist. Hard fat will not render and must be trimmed off.

I cook my butts at 240 degrees pit temperature, keep in mind that some butts will finish fast and some will take forever. The plateau runs between 140 & 170 degrees internal temp.

Wrap butts with foil at 172 degrees internal temp / continue to cook. Pull butts off of cooker at 195 to 200 degrees internal temp and place in hot cooler for 1 hour.