Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken thighs

Options
Jerzee
Jerzee Posts: 84
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did some searching and came up with a wide range of ways to cook thighs. I've seen 400deg @ FR level, 250-275 raised grid and indirect...

I want to cook 6 thighs, bone in, in about 60-75 minutes. Rubbed with Shakin the Tree. What's the best way to do this?

Comments

• DrugCoder
    DrugCoder Posts: 219
    Options
    Why so specific on time? Maybe I'm reading your post wrong but would it be okay for them to be done quicker? I usually go 375-400 direct on a raised grid and watch the internal temp. Since I'm not really watching the time I'd be willing to bet that they're almost always done in under 30 min.
  • Brew'nQue
    Brew'nQue Posts: 44
    Options
    I just grilled some chicken thighs last night. Used the Ono One Chicken Thighs recipe. 375-400 indirect until the thighs were 170 degrees. Mighty, mighty tasty. Not sure how long they took...prolly 25-30 minutes.
  • Jerzee
    Jerzee Posts: 84
    Options
    I was specific on time due to the need to have this meal done at a certain time. :whistle:

375 sounds good. Going to throw on veggies and ABT's as well so don't want to get too high.

Thanks for the tips! :)
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    IMG_0279b.jpg

I'm fond of raised direct. The top ones were in the 300° range and took about 1-1/2 hours. These next ones took closer to 2 hours, but the pit temp was around 250°.

38312baf.jpg

At 400° with an indirect set-up I plan on 45 minutes for bone-in thighs. So, if you are looking at a 60 to 75 minute window, maybe shoot for 350°. When I temp them, I am looking for mid 180°'s with clear juice.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Not that I am an expert :ermm:

But saw this technique on TV, and that was the remove the skin and scrape off the fat and then toothpick the skin back on. Did it once and skin was crunchy.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I always cook chicken thighs (and/or legs) raised direct at 375-400°. These were marinated in Goya Mojo Criollo. I don't remember how long they took, but it was less than 60-75 minutes. They were pretty good. :)

4101269668_d474558f9d_b.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I did these at 350* for about 80 minutes direct on a raised grid and they were excellent:

DSC01282.jpg