Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question for anyone with an XL

Options
DHall
DHall Posts: 180
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I posted about this the other day but didnt really get the answers I was looking for so I figured I would rephrase it and repost. I am considering purchasing an XL egg while in Atlanta this coming week. Have any of you XL users noticed any difference in performance of the XL compared to the Large. for example..can it hit the high temps the same, maintain low and slo for long periods the same as the Large? Thanks for the help
DHall

Comments

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    DHall,[p]Low and slow with a platesetter is no problem. High temps is not something I usually do, but I don't see why not. It's just big and when it gets hot, it gets hot. Be sure to have some long tongs.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    drbbq,
    I've wondered if it is possible to do very localized cooking on the large. What I mean is, since the grate seems to sit lower to the firebox, could you build up lump in a small section right underneath the grid and do a sear on that small section? [p]I know that you are one of the XL masters and was hoping you could say one way or another.[p]Thanks

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    I don't see why you CAN'T do what you mentioned. There definitely is room in the firebox to concentrate/isolate quantities of lump for that type of thing.
    As for high temp cooking, I've done many pizzas in the 5-600°F range on the XL with good to excellent results (originally had trouble getting toppings cooked through, but since I went back to establishing high temp with top cap off, then putting back on for main cook, it's allowed heat circulation over the top of pizza and thus, browning of the toppings).
    Qfan