Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steaks......looking for any recommendations

Options
WVU-Egg
WVU-Egg Posts: 101
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have some real nice thick NY Top Loin steaks......wanting to egg them tonight before I head out of town.[p]And good but simple recommendations. Was thinking of using some Cow Lick rub. Anyone use anything else with this rub or just apply the rub, drink, cook, drink, eat, drink?[p]Thx
Ron

Comments

• WVU_EGG,
    I like to cover mine with olive oil, salt, fresh cracked pepper corns and lightly hit with garlic powder.

• WVU_EGG,
    Personally, I think a steak should taste like a steak. Everyone has to put something on it, but I like to use ceyanne pepper to blacken the steak, salt, lots of black pepper and a dusting of garlic powder. Cook medium rare and no more. Anyone putting steak sauce on a steak during or after it is done, just don't like the taste of a good steak. My opinion. [p]Jerry

• Jopa
    Jopa Posts: 155
    Options
    WVU_EGG,
    For good quality steaks I use a little olive oil,sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper.I always add oak and peach chips/chunks to my cook.Then drink, cook,drink cook.......
    Lets Goooooo................

• WVU-Egg
    WVU-Egg Posts: 101
    Options
    Jwirlwind,
    Oh nooooooo, never any steak sauce and always medium rare. Sometimes I'll just use cracked black pepper, sea salt and some olive oil. Just curious if anyone had any other simple ideas.[p]Had a friend over the other day who wanted his steak cooked WELL done. Didn't want a single sign of pink in that meat. What a shame. He was a good friend. I wish him the best.

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    WVU_EGG,
    A lot depends upon the quality and thickness of the meat, but if it is worth eating, I'd try the T-Rex method. It's fool-proof when you follow the directions.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

1044 Posts: 93
    Options
    WVU_EGG,
    There are cuts for those folks, and it ain't filet, rib-eye, T-bone, etc. If you're gonna ruin a steak, start with a cheap one. They will burn up just as nice as real meat.