Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

First Steak

wallyjarwallyjar Posts: 123
edited 6:01PM in EggHead Forum
Cooked some pulled pork and brisket last week and they turned out really good.

Tonight I threw some poppers and sausage on to nibble on while I cooked vegetable kebobs, a couple of bacon wrapped filets and some nice large shrimp on a skewer.

Everything turned out greqt except steak was way undercooked.

I used digital thermometer and pulled at 150 for my wife and steak was almost rare. Had to take up to 160 to get done enough for her. Guess I better check the new thermometer. Maybe should throw away and get Thermopen!!

'

Comments

• Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 8,210
    Sounds like the thermometer is out of calibration.
  • Cooked our 1st steak and it was wonderful. Had a little problem getting temperature to stay at 400 but finally did. I did the trex method of cooking, but made sure the temp of the steak was 145 (medium) and it was perfect.
  • wallyjarwallyjar Posts: 123
    Glad it worked out for you.
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    don't check a steak by sticking the thermometer in from the top, because you'll poke out the other side and get a high reading, or not stick it in far enough and get the same high reading.

stick it in horizontally.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,600
    #1,calibrate your thermoter,#2 do what stike said,put the thermoter into the side of the steak to the center. ;)
  • wallyjarwallyjar Posts: 123
    Did use the side maybe not deep enough.

Thanks
  • dhuffjrdhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    or buy thicker steaks :whistle:
    Although a bacon wrapped fillet sounds like a nice thick one.... I've never seen thin ones anyway.

I'm a big fan of trust but verify. Trust the reading from one poke but verify it by poking a couple other places for temp readings too.
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    right. and poking doesn't "let the juices escape" either. it ain't a water balloon :laugh:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante