Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Skirt steak???

Options
elzbth
elzbth Posts: 2,075
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Picked up some skirt steak this week and need some help, please. Should I marinate and grill -thinking of fajitas?? Should have thought of this BEFORE I bought it, but too late for that now. Another possibility - would be grilled, bite sized pieces over grilled veggies and rice??? I'm getting hungry. Thanks in advance for all the help anyone can give me. :ohmy:

Comments

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Yeah, when I think of skirt steak I immediately think of fajitas. That's my favorite preparation for it.

But here is one thing I did different with a skirt steak, Thai Skirt Steak.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    Here's one that doesn't require marinating.
    Grilled Gaucho Steak with Blue Cheese and Pita

Course: Main Course
    Total Time: Under 1 Hour
    Skill Level: Moderate
    Cost: Moderate
    Favorited: 14 Times

Chef

Michael Chiarello

Cookbook
    at-home-with-michael-chiarello-easy-entertaining
    Published by Chronicle

Recipe Comments (0)

On a long trip to South America, I fell in love with the Argentinean way of cooking and eating beef.
    On the pampas, the steak was skewered on a metal rod and placed in the ground right in the fire.
    When it was ready, it was sliced and served on bread with the amazing chimichurri sauce.
    We duplicate this at home by using a hearth grill (slipped right into the living-room fireplace for cooking) and setting up the entire dinner on the coffee table in front of the roaring fire.
    Yield : Serves 8
    Ingredients

For the Chimichurri Sauce:

1 bunch fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley, finely chopped
    2 bay leaves, broken into small pieces
    6 cloves garlic, minced
    1½ teaspoons Spanish paprika
    1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano leaves
    ½ cup red wine vinegar
    1¼ cups extra virgin olive oil
    Finely ground sea salt, preferably gray salt
    Freshly ground black pepper

For the Chili Water:

1 tablespoon Spanish paprika
    1 cup warm water

2 red onions, sliced crosswise ½ inch thick
    Extra virgin olive oil for brushing
    Freshly ground black pepper

2½ pounds skirt steak, about ½ inch thick
    8 pita breads
    ½ pound blue cheese, crumbled
    4 ripe tomatoes, cored, cut crosswise into ¼-inch-thick slices, and slices halved

Directions

Make the chimichurri sauce: In a food processor, combine the parsley, bay leaves, garlic, paprika, oregano, vinegar, olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
    Pulse until well mixed.

Transfer the sauce to a glass or plastic container; you should have about 2½ cups.

Measure out about ¾ cup for this recipe.
    Cover and refrigerate the remainder for other uses.

Ready a charcoal grill or gas grill for direct heat grilling over a hot fire. Preheat the oven to 225°F.

Make the chili water: In a small bowl, combine the paprika, 2 tablespoons salt, and the water and stir until the salt dissolves.

Lightly brush the onion slices on both sides with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
    Place on the grill and cook, turning once, until well caramelized and softened, 3 to 4 minutes on each side.

At the same time, season the steaks with salt and brush on some of the chili water.
    Place the steaks on the grill and cook, basting 2 or 3 more times with the chili water and turning once, until cooked to desired doneness, 4 to 6 minutes total for medium-rare.
    Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 4 minutes.

Lightly brush the pita breads with olive oil and set on the grill, turning once, to heat for 1 minute.
    Remove from the grill.

Cut the top 20 percent off each pita bread (save the trimmings for another use).
    Divide the blue cheese evenly among the pita breads, stuffing it into the pockets.
    Lay the pita breads in a single layer on 2 rimmed baking sheets and place in the oven to keep warm.

Cut the skirt steaks across the grain into ½-inch-thick slices and place in a bowl.
    Add ½ cup of the chimichurri sauce and toss well.

Remove the pita breads from the oven and place on warmed individual plates.
    Divide the meat and tomato slices among the pita breads, slipping them into the pockets.
    Pull the onion slices apart into rings and slip the onion rings into the pockets as well.
    Spoon 1½ teaspoons chimichurri sauce over each stuffed pita bread and serve at once.

Notes

Cooking Notes: A skirt steak is a relatively tough cut from the underbelly of the animal. It is usually about ½ inch thick and is popularly used for making fajitas.

You will have chimichurri sauce left over.
    Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 month.
    Use it as a marinade and/or sauce for other grilled meats, such as pork or lamb.

Entertaining Notes: This is a perfect dish for serving on a buffet.
    Simply plate each component and let your guests serve themselves.
    Find some Argentinean music to play in the background for the full effect.

Wine Notes: Ask your local wine shop for a good, affordable Chilean or Argentinean red.

© 2005 NapaStyle, Inc.
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    Skirt is a tough cut that needs marinating overnight IMHO. When you slice it be sure to cut across the grain also.

I have been using a store bought tacos al pastor marinade lately that is heavy on lime and pineapple juice to help tenderize the meat.

I intend to make Fidel's marinade from scratch soon. Here it is from the forum:

BGE Fajitas by Fidel -

For the Marinade :
    5-6 cloves Garlic, minced
    1/2 cup chopped fresh Cilantro
    1 Jalapeno, seeded and diced
    3 juiced Limes
    1/2 cup Canola or Vegetable Oil
    1 Tbls. Onion Powder
    1 Tbls. crushed Red Pepper
    1 Tbls. ground Cumin
    1 Tbls. Black Pepper
    1 Tbls. Ancho Chili Powder
    1 Tbls. Salt
    1 tsp. Kitchen Bouquet (optional)

Combine all ingredients to make the marinade.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    Dang Bob. Thanks for that post. I will definately benefit from it. Sounds delish. :)
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    Ibanda, which store bought pastor marinade are you using? Been looking for a good one when I'm in a hurry.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Both sound good, but I'd go for the first one. Cook it hot and fast.
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    Sweetwater Spice Co. Lime Jalepeno Fajita Bath, I think it's made in Austin, they had a rep at last year's Austin Eggfest. It's expensive but good.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.