Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Top Sirloin?

Bear 007
Bear 007 Posts: 382
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
DSC_5173.jpg
This is turning out to be one of my favorite steaks on the BGE. I like em thick, and the last time I seared it on the outside then closed down my egg till done, it got a little bad smoke on it, any suggestions?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    the 'bad smoke' when you shut the dome is fat dripping on a dying fire. it does not burn cleanly.

the "swear dwell" method in the BGE cookbook (maybe DVD now) is really only good for something with almost no fat, like a tenderloin. even then, it's not a great way to cook, because the meat sits in a cloud of soot

a candle burns nice and clean until you blow it out. the wick is still burning, but poorly, and that little wisp of sooty smoke is the same thing that's happening in your egg on a larger scale. add to that the dripping fat... and it's a pretty sad environment for a nice steak
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Bear 007
    Any ideas? I could pull it and wait till the egg cools, I just don't know if I like the idea of putting it back on after resting.
  • stike
    quite a few people put it back on after a rest. what is the concern?

with a thick piece of meat you need to divide and conquer. you can cook something thin by searing alone, but anything really thick should be attacked in two stages. sear and roast. doesn't much matter which comes first. and you could even skip the sear

you could hot tub it, to raise the core temp, and then sear to your liking. or you can sear, take it off to rest, drop temps to 400, and put it back on (about a 15 minute wait for temps to come down). or you could roast slowly (anywhere from 250 to 400) until you are within 10-15 degrees of the target internal temp, then jack the temps and sear it to finish.

all these things treat the exterior sear as a small separate step for taste/looks/color etc. the other step more slowly raises the temps internally
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    sear it, rest it while you get temps down, 20 maybe 30 minutes, roast it. most put it back in at 400 to roast, but that cut and thickness would be even better to drop the temps to 350, the tougher cuts seem to be better at a lower roasting temp to me, more tender. that cut in roast form cooked between 275 and 300 makes a great deli beef as well
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Bear 007
    I just thought it would dry out if you rest and then put back on. Ill try it though.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    what it does is give you a more uniform cook thru the middle and less over cooked meat toward the edges. the method is called trex here. its a good method for thick steaks.

d73fa1c6.jpg

af4fe4a7.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    no
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    fishlessman,

That pint o' porter is looking really good right now. B)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Bear 007