Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brats Smoking Question

Options
Citizen Q
Citizen Q Posts: 484
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Picked up a couple of slabs of ribs this week at the wholesale club, along with a party pack of Johnsonville Brats. I'm gonna put the ribs in the Egg in about an hour and the thought occurred to me that maybe I could smoke the brats along with the ribs at about 210 degrees. I usually just grill the brats for about 15-20 minutes at between 350 and 400, so my question is to anybody who has smoked these things before, how long can I expect the brats to take at smoking temps?[p]Much Thanks and Cheers,
C~Q

Comments

• Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    Options
    Citizen Q,
    Brats are a favorite around here, served with sauteed Pierogies (Mrs T brand following directions on box)[p]We prepare the brats by slow boiling in a pot on the stove filled with your favorite beer - yes beer, not water. After boiling a good 10 minutes, it is off to the egg. I smoke them heavily at 225-250 for about the time it takes to drink another beer or two. I am sure to roll the brats on the grill so they do not blacken. My goal is to get the skin to become a nice bronzed, carmelized gloss color - none of that burnt crap.[p]Some in the family like toasted buns and they get what they want. I prefer just a nice, homemade, fresh & warm whole wheat hot dog bun.[p]The pierogies, after boiling, are pan fried in butter & onions. The onions are then put on the buns and are part of the Brat. Pierogies are served with ranch salad dressing. To balance out the color pallate (sp?), we have steamed broccoli & squash.[p]Hope this is of some help. I will tell you that the only brats I have ruined are the ones that the skin becomes burnt.[p]Banker John