Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small or Medium

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My Sweetie, Spring Hen, just announced that I should purchase another Egg. I know you're all thinking that I'm a lucky man to have such a considerate mate, but truth is, she wants me to be more versital with my cooking, especially when it comes to cooking for larger groups. She also knows that the dream of us RV'ing America is fast approaching and we'll be a'needing an Egg for that.[p]Here's my question: Should I get a small which would be easy to handle and store in my RV or go for a medium which gives me a greater range of cooking opportunities but may not be as easy to handle on the road?[p]She specifically wants to be able to cook pizzas (frozen and homemade) so it will need a plate setter and pizza stone among its accessories.[p]I would appreciate comments and suggestions, especially from anyone who also happens to be an RV'er.[p]Spring "Got All of the Lottery Numbers But Three" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Leroy,[p]I would go with the Medium. I have one and can do just about everything that you can do on the Large, just sometimes you have to cut your brisket down a bit so it'll fit ;-) Anyway, it's not THAT bad to handle - if you get a nest you can roll it around with ease, and, when I've had to, I've bear-hugged it and carried it short distances. In fact, last year I buckled it into my back seat and brought it to Texas Eggfest.[p]If you'd like to drop by some time and take a look at my Medium, just let me know.[p]TRex
  • Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    I hear TRex loud and clear on the size issue. Bigger is better, and there is a plate setter for the medium, but not for the small.
    I think the real question is are you going to have help with the medium if you buy it. If you try to manhandle it yourself, you are likely to get hurt. I have the small as my traveler, and it is a challenge.
    Scott
    PS-Boy do I love my small!

• Spring Chicken,
    here is a guarantee you can't pass up. Buy a med. if its too heavy, give it to me and buy yourself a small. If its too small, I'll trade back with ya. Either way its a win win situation for the both of us.

• JimboBQ
    JimboBQ Posts: 197
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    You are a lucky man, indeed! We camp with a TrailManor and I'd vote for the small. I've picked up my large before (in pieces of course) and that bottom is tough to handle! The small is still pretty heavy, but I can pick it up (in pieces again of course) without worrying about blowing out a hernia! And I'm a pretty good sized 50 yr old @ 208 lbs. We cook on the small for 3 when we go camping and it's plenty big enough for us. I also like having the bigger size difference between the small and large. I would think the small would be a better steak grilling machine than the medium. Might heat up quicker, might get hotter, like the Mini, I don't know. But medium or small, you can't go wrong![p]Jimbo[p]

Spartanburg, SC - 1 Large, 1 Small, 1 MiniMax and a Mini. I may have a problem...
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Chef Wil' [p]I might be under the influence of a couple of rum 'n cokes but somehow I have one of those "feelings" about this deal Something to do with short and long sticks... Hee Hee[p]On the other hand, if I just come over and camp out in your parking lot, I can eat good all the time and never have to light an Egg.[p]Or, I can buy the small, design a swing-out arm that easily gives me access to my Egg and when I'm through, just tuck it back into the RV basement compartment. I'm even thinking up a remote control device for it so's I won't have to work so hard in my retirement. Everything else on the motorhome I want works with a push-button..., why not an Egg?[p]Time to go eat some Mexican Food.[p]Spring Chicken

• Spring Chicken,[p]I would vote for the small Egg and I have used it for RV'ing as you call it. You can do a great pizza along with several other bread treats on the cooker with the right setup. You can also cook for up to 25 people in one cook with this little cooker. It is also pretty easy to do a whole meal on the cooker with a two layer grid. For example, you might place 3-4 bone in chicken breasts on the lower grid and then using a standard bread pan, have say scalloped potatoes in one pan and say baked beans in another pan on the top grid. All will cook at about the same temp. If you don't want chicken, make up a 2-3 pound meat loaf and place it on the lower grid and put some baked potatoes on the top grid along with some beans in a standard bread pan. When this comes off, throw a pan of rolls on the top grid for your bread. Have the wife make up a salad and you are ready to go. [p]You will have to make most of your setups for the small as there is not much out there for this little cooker. [p]I am not sure if your wife can do frozen pizzas on this little cooker if there over about 10" in diameter but you can sure do homemade very well. [p]22MVC-008E.jpg[p]This is a 10 inch homemade pizza on the small with my baking setup. I also do many other baking treats on this cooker. [p]20mvc-009e.jpg[p]Many times at a campground if you stay for a few weeks, you will want to get involved with some pitch in suppers. It is pretty easy for you to do the meat for up to 25 people on the small Egg. The above picture shows 16.82 pounds of butts on the small cooker. I start them on their sides early in the cook with my maxi setup and can usually get them laid down later into the cook. You then have all your neighbors bring a dish for this party. [p]20mvc-010e.jpg[p]This picture shows the two butts just before I took them off the cooker. [p]Be more than happy to help you with the setups that I use for this little cooker. I use two different cookers in my RV but this small cooker will do a nice job with many different meals. [p]Dave[p][p]

• CampCook
    CampCook Posts: 157
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    go for the small if you plan on camping. It is reasonable to handle and cooks large. I've done two large meat loafs for 6 people and three pork butts -- enough to feed 10 or 15 people. As to the plate settr, I just used three construction bricks. Works fine.
    Dave