Congratulations and welcome to the forum.
When I got my first egg it took me a while to find the 'stuff’ discussed here on the forum. What follows below are posts and sites that help me getting to know and use my BGE(s) better. You will find links to some of the posts, member sites with great information, recipes and toys/accessories for the egg. This is just a starting point and quick reference to help you on your egg'n adventure. Welcome and congratulations with your egg.
Feel free to copy or bookmark this post/page for future reference.
Where to begin:
. Make sure you read the manual
. Watch the video provided with your new egg
. Calibrate your dome thermometer. Instructions are included with the egg.
Now, it's time to 'mouse around', enjoy while visiting these sites:
- BGE Headquarters - The Mother Ship Home Page
- New stuff from BGE - What's new from BGE
- The Egg Components What everything in & on the egg is called
- RRP's Forum Navigating and Forum Settings Help
- Recipes - BGE HQ Recipes
- Recipes - Forum Recipes
- Recipes - Keep On Eggin Recipe Book 2011 A ~ thebtls.
225 pages and is a huge download.
- Videos - BGE Cooking Videos
- Boiling Point Calculator - From the Forum
Quick Tip - (on or off the egg) For great tasting food, cook food to temperature and use time as a reference.
- A Cut Above - Cuts of Beef, Pork, Lamb ~ De-bone Trout & Salmon ~ Discussion & Visuals
- When is the food done - Food Cooking Temperatures
- USDA Is My Food Safe - How Temperatures Affect Food
- USDA Cold Storage - Freezing and Food Safety
- USDA - Safe Food Handling Fact Sheets
- Discussion regarding - Letting Meat Rest After Cooking
- Egg Temperatures - Visual Guide to Vent Settings & Clear Smoke
- A visual guide to - Good & Bad Smoke
- One of many ways to light the lump - Paper Towel & Oil
- Thermometers - Pit Probe Placement
- Information regarding - Smoking Woods
- Setting up for an Over Night Cook - Step by Step Visual Guide
- How to post a picture on the forum - Using Photobucket - Visual Guide
- How to post a slideshow on the forum - Using Photobucket - Visual Guide
- What is Flashback (important) - Understanding Flashback
- Quick Tip: Band / Hige Timing and Readjusting
A few personal favorite cooks I have found to be easy, fun and result in some darn good eats:
- Chicken & Veggies
- Pot Roast in Dutch Oven
- Pork Char Sui
- Pulled Pork, Shoulders (Butt and Picnic)
- A Great Egg'd Chicken Salad
Quick Tip - How much meat should I buy to feed Pulled Pork for a group of people. Take the number of people eating and divide by 2.4
- Prime Rib
- Buckboard Bacon
- Chili Verde
- Mad Max Turkey & Gravy
Forum member sites, good places to spend some, you will find a wealth of knowledge being shared:
- Thirdeye - Recipe Section
- Thirdeye - Thirdeye Front Page
Don't pass up the other BBQ/Smoking help on the site.
- Wess B - Recipes, Tips & Fest Cookbooks
- Nakedwiz - Lump Database, Recipes & Tips
Most forum members will advise to get an instant read thermometer. The Thermopen is a well worth investment, don't settle for lookalikes. The MTC is also an good thermometer, pick up the thin fast reading probe. Both are fast reading and extremely accurate.
- Thermoworks - Fast Read Thermapen
- Thermoworks - MTC Mini Handheld
(get the 2 sec read probe)
- Maverick ET-732 -
(abt. $59.95 online no s/h)
Tools, Toys and Must Have's:
Some forum members who offer Tools & Accessories, you will also find recipes and tips at some of these sites - take time to look and learn:
- Thirdeye - ThirdHand Grid Lift, Wiggle Rods, Micro Adjuster and ThirdFinger
- Ceramic Grills Store, Egg Accessories - One of my favorites, the Adjustable Rig & Spider
- Dizzy Pig Rubs - (DP) Rubs
- Chubby's accessories for the small egg - Grill Mates
- Lawn Ranger - Custom Handles and Tools
- Big'un - Carnivore BBQ Sauce
- HungryMan - Custom Printed T-Shirts & Wearable’s
Some of the Powered Vent Systems Available
- Stoker (my preference)
- Aurber - (lower cost units - pit control only)
- iQue 110 - (lower cost unit - pit control only)