Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pot Roast

Options
Good Eats
Good Eats Posts: 136
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thinking of doing a pot roast in my NEW Lodge Dutch Oven this weekend... I saw everyone posting about Dutch Ovens a couple weeks ago so I had to go get one... now for the important stuff... I would like to do a pot roast with some potatoes, carrots, onions... you guys got any recommendations on size of roast ( 7 qt. Dutch Oven ) cooking times, temps? Any ideas or suggestions GREATLY APPRECIATED... would like to do low and slow.[p]

Comments

• The Other Dave
    Options
    Good Eats, How ironic considering your handle: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_15691,00.html[p]I substitute those dried sweet cranberries for the raisins.[p]I also use a hot bloody mary mix with horseradish (yum)inplace of the tomato juice.[p]When Alton says to have the skillet (or dutch oven) hot, he means HOT. My gas stove top on its higest flame won't cut it for the heat requirements of the initial phase.

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Good Eats,[p]Use a favorite kitchen recipe and convert the times and temps to the egg. I know that may sound oversimplified.....but it really is that easy.[p]I would leave the lid on the dutch oven for first third of the cook or so, then off the rest of the way so the dish takes on some of the smoke flavor. You won't need a lot of smoke so be careful not to overdo it.
    And it may help to go indirect so you don't scorch the food touching the bottom of the dutch oven. [p]Once I started thinking of the egg as a wood fired oven and not simply as a grill or bbq, I realized I could cook almost anything on the egg.[p]Good luck and let us know how it turns out.[p]John

• Chrispy Bob
    Options
    Good Eats, Here is one of my favorites. The gravy is great on bread or split rolls...good soppin!!![p]CB[p]
    * Exported from MasterCook *[p] Pot Roast with Wine Gravy[p]Recipe By :Bob Chrisp
    Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :[p] Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

3 pounds chuck roast
    2 carrots -- diced fine
    2 onion -- diced fine
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    3 garlic clove -- crushed
    3 cups red wine -- Burgundy or the like
    1 can cream of mushroom soup -- undiluted
    1 can tomato soup -- undiluted
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    2 teaspoons oregano
    2 teaspoons basil
    S & P to taste[p]Put oil in Dutch oven and sear roast on all sides until browned. Remove roast and add veggies and garlic. Cook, stirring often for 3-5 min or until tender. Put roast on top of cooked veggies and add remaining ingredients. Bring to a simmer, cover, reduce heat and cook for 2 - 2 1/2 hours. Remove roast to serving platter.
    If you have a stick blender, process until mixture is smooth; else strain mixture into a bowl, discard veggies and return gravy to pot. Adjust seasoning as desired. If too think add a little water or wine. If too thin, cook uncovered until desired thickness is reached.
    Note. Cut-up veggies can be added during last 45 min of cooking if desire.