Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

wild boar shoulder - timing and taste questions

Options
eggzlot
eggzlot Posts: 93
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
All -

I got a 14lb wild boar shoulder. I am going to smoke it and bring it to a party I am attending on a Saturday afternoon.

So I got a few questions:

1) I am sure it is the same as a regular pork butt, so 1.5-2 hrs per pound. As was suggested to me by BBQR, should I start my cook Friday before I go to work (I have a typical 9-5 job) and keep it a bit lower, around 235 dome temp? Another option, when I get home, get the fire started and can get the shoulder on the smoker, it would be close to 7pm. Should I smoke it at a higher heat say closer to 275/300 (if not higher)? Would that have it ready by noon or so the following day to allow for some resting time before serving it around 2pm?

2) How much bone weight is in a shoulder? Just curious, if the whole thing weighs 14 lbs, do I have 11 lbs of meat or 13 lbs of meat? Just on average, anyone have an idea?

3) Taste - I've never had wild boar before. Can I go with my same rubs/vinegar sauces as my traditional pork butts? Those flavors mix well with either pork butt or wild boar shoulder? I like Eastern Carolina, so I have a rub with a little heat, and a vinegar based sauce without ketchup, mustard, etc.

any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    eggzlot: Brine it, 24-48 hours, in a heavily flavored brine. Then rinse well, and treat like a regular shoulder. We found it to cook quicker than regular pig, maybe because it is much leaner? Keep your pit temp low...no higher than 250* would be my preference.
  • 407BGE
    407BGE Posts: 187
    Options
    This is likely to cook faster than a conventional shoulder due to the lack of fat. I personnaly would put it on a 275 when I got home from work and put the spurs into it in the morning.

As far as taste & texture, was it a boar or sow and how big. We once tried to cook the shoulder of a 300 lb boar. It was awful! I took one bite and spit it out. I have had others that were almost as good as a domestic pig, but never one that I would describe as better.

Have fun and realize that this might be a "good idea" that turns bad ;)
  • eggzlot
    eggzlot Posts: 93
    Options
    a co worker gave it to me, he went hunting and got one, so his butcher did his magic on it. My co worker knows i like to do 'Cue, so he gave me one of the shoulders. I think the boar was in the 200 lb range if I recall the story correctly.

But good idea, since it is leaner it should cook quicker, so maybe do it at 275 when I get home from work. Can always foil it early Saturday AM and kick up the temp of the Egg if required.

Anything on taste with rubs, sauces, etc?
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I came across an exchange once that went something like this:

Q:
    "I'm going to fix a large boar, how do you think I should prepare it?"

A:
    "It's the reason pepperoni was invented."

So I'd guess if it was a boar, are really long brine soak, and provide a strong sauce at end.
  • boston_stoker
    Options
    I second the heavily flavored brine.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    boston: Totally agreed. The last time we did wild boar, the guys bagged 3 boar in about 15 minutes...approaching 400 lbs total weight dressed. They gave us a bunch to cook for thier "hunt" party. We had all 3 larges going, and I swore I would never do it again! :laugh: I can honestly say, they had never had boar that had been brined. Not a single one of them could believe the difference in flavor from brining, and swore it was the best they'd had. (well, and I'm sure the Egg helped, too! :laugh: ) Brining is really the key to draw out the gaminess, IMO. I will also admit, the "goop" that was floating in that brine when done...well... :sick: .
  • c tredwell
    c tredwell Posts: 575
    Options
    Theyve got it right! If it was a boar, and not a sow, it will be GAAAMMMMEEEYYY! A lot of it comes down to how the hog was harvested, and how well it was cleaned- Brine for at least 48hrs in a heavy salt/sugar/pepper solution. I'm a big fan of larding my hawgs... Get a larding tool, and go to town on that thing. 14lb shoulder, 1 lb lard...thats how I roll...that will keep it moist and fatty enough to cook more like a regular butt....hopefully Fidel will chime in...he's really good at coming up with interesting ways to cook game-Good luck and keep us posted! B)